Hysterectomy or Endometrial Ablation

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I am new to this forum but I in a bit of a dilemma and would welcome your experiences and thoughts. I have had a bit of a journey over the last 3 years, increasingly heavy periods, which are now 2 - 3 weeks long, with severe clotting (sorry tmi).  I have had a laparoscopy (GA), mirena coil (twice), right ovary and tube removed due to large cysts, and I have a large fibroid.  I have tried transexamic acid which had no benefit.  I am now being offered an endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy.  Having read some stuff on forums, the experience of EA doesnt seem to be good.   I am inclined to go straight for the hysterectomy in the sense that it gives complete closure to this whole sorry experience, and the on going post op pain with an EA seems well documented.  Just wondered if anyone could offer any helpful insights?  Thanks all.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sara I had the EA when I was 30 stopped my periods for ten years but the pain was horrific. I would rather have given birth ten times over than suffer the pain every month. I am now 8 weeks post op of my full abdominal hysterectomy and feel great. I must admit the first 4 weeks after the hysterectomy I felt ill, but now I will never look back it was the best thing I ever did.
    • Posted

It's amazing how many people have said the pain is severe when you would be having your period post EA.  The consultant I saw was very dismissive of it, and seemed quite gung ho about the whole thing - said I would be back to wearing white like the girl in the leaflet in no time.  They have no idea do they.  Thanks for taking the time to reply Karen.
    • Posted

Just wondering Karen, was your pain like having contractions? That's how mine became 10 years after my EA, just wondering if this is a common problem 10 years after the op? Must admit it was the worst pain I have ever experienced!
  • Posted

Hi Sara

I am 4 days post op after having full abdominal hysterectomy , I am in a lot of pain but I know it will be worth it. I had an EA almost 2 years ago it stopped my bleeding for around 4 months then again heavy periods which got worse like you say over 20 days in some occasions x personally they should of given me the Hysterectomy when u asked back then but it's now all over just need to recover xx good luck with your choices xx nic

• Posted

Good luck with your recovery nic, I bet youre relieved its all over!  I hope it all goes well and this is the step back to normality for you, I'm quite jealous hahaha.  xx
    • Posted

Hi nicola I'm getting total hystetectomy and removal of ovaries any advice
  • Posted

Hi thank you for your kind words and support from all x I am drinking the peppermint tea and the wind cramps is awful xx as I am 43 I told my gynie that when he did my hysterectomy to also take the ovaries as no way I was going back for further ops couple of years down the line! He understood and lovely x I have a long recovery as cut from hip to hip but I know I can do it xxxx
    • Posted

Hope you get well soon. I'm getting bilateral salpingo I'm hoping they do it laparoscopy they are going to try
  • Posted

Hi Sara

I had an ablation 10 years ago. it worked for first 3 years, no bleed at all although you still get all the monthly symptoms, ie period cramps, painful breasts etc. After 3 years the bleed started to return, nowhere near as much as before the op and i could cope with that, until 18 months ago. I started getting contractions - proper birthing conctractions. Each month the pain got worse and lasted longer until they were lasting 6 hours each day/night for 8-10 days. I was taken to A&E twice, given morphine, gas & air and tramadol but nothing took the pain away. I was given scans and the results were cervical stenosis, this is where your cervix fuses shut due to severe scarring from an ablation which stops the blood escaping from your womb and then you get contractions to try and get rid of the blood, which is never going to happen, hence the reason for the pains lasting longer and longer everyday. The blood builds up more and more and then the pains get worse to unbearable! I cried in agony for help. I was told there was only one option for this, hysterectomy!

I am now 14 weeks post op from a total hysterectomy with ovaries removed too. I wish i had just gone for the hysterectomy to start with now. I have heard that the ablation lasts approx 10 years at the most. If you have it before the age of 40yrs (i was 39) then you have more chance of failure, if you go through the menopause before the 10 years you could be okay but if not then the risks are what i had. I was never told any of this before the ablation and only found out when i started having those vile pains. I ve told my daughter in laws if they have any gyno problems to NEVER have the ablation. The hysterectomy is a tough op but worth it to know i'll never have those pains again. I ve had to remind myself not to get anxious each month as i used to get the dreading feeling everytime i knew my monthly was due. Thank god its in the past now. Good luck with your decisions and hope you sort your problems out soon x

• Posted

I had endometrial ablation almost 8 years ago, I have pain after op and some heavy bleeding consultant said in veiw of my age it would sort it's self out (I was 57 then) I still had to have TAH with BSO this year, if I could go back in time I would have had hysterectomy then 
  • Posted

Hi I had an ablation 2 yrs ago and worked well until March! Yesterday I had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed laparoscopically, I feel very well. My friend had an ablation 3 yrs ago and has had no bleeding since.
    • Posted

Hiya

I had my hysterectomy and ovaries removed via abdominal surgery cut from hip to hip! I wasn't given the option of keyhole, I still feel like crap and very sore and swollen but early days my oblation lasted around 4 months waste of NHS money as previously I had asked for a hysterectomy but instead he gave me oblation and sterilised me could not see the point but here I am again further surgery that could of been avoided x glad you feeling good x

• Posted

Oh no you poor thing Nicola, hope you feel better soon 😊
    • Posted

Hiya

I had my operation 14th July x I had bleeding first few days then stopped and it's started again during the night not sure if this is normal xxx

• Posted

Nicola

Think that is normal you've not been over doing it have you? No infection? X

• Posted

Hi I'm not sure what I can and can't do I've like made a cuppa but I am up and down can't sit still I might ring the nurse at my gp see what she says I have slowly out the washer on but my daughter had out it out???? I think I'm doing too much? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.