I don't believe this is just anxiety anymore.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Of course i do have anxiety and i fully accept that but i feel like everything gets blamed on that.

I am currently having racing/pounding heart that i can feel and even see in my stomach and sweating down my right arm.

This happens every day for no reason even when i am just sitting at home and goes on for hours, my doctor says it's anxiety but i think they are missing something here, how can this be anxiety?

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Anxiety can mimic all kinds of deadly illnesses

Im having a very hard time accepting that it's just anxiety too. I know I have anxiety but I don't really believe that is all that's wrong

We just have to believe the doctors I guess

• Posted

I know what you mean jay, I looked my husband straight in the face and said 'look at me,I am not looking anxious, I am talking calmly so this cannot be anxiety' but I suppose it just ripples away all the time and wants to give us something to worry about.

It's such a horrid thing, I wouldn't worry if I was sweating all over but it's just on my right arm/hand which seems a bit odd to me, we do have to trust them though, they are medically trained after all.

• Posted

It is a Panic attack from a panic disorder. It is classic unfortunately. Your body is reacting as if it is terrified. 
    • Posted

Thank you, it's so horrible, deep down  i know it's anxiety but my mind is constantly playing against me, i try to distract myself but i suppose it's not working because i am worrying a lot about all sorts of things.
    • Posted

I have been in your shoes and it passes. It really does. It can pass fast or take a while. Im not sure what snaps it to stop but it does. I found listening to audiobooks on topics of self developement help but i usually walk whilst listening. Imalso changed my diet to healthier so unsure which helped the most but you need a change of some sort. The change of routine helps a lot. Your husband most likely has no clue what you are feeling even if he wanted too understand he cant. oddly its not distracting that works but understanding it and accepting this is how your body reacts and is now. Almost like if you banged your arm you would know it will hurt and maybe bruise for a few days. You would accept it as is. Its similiar.  focusing on it is a bad idea, thinking its some undiagnosed mysterious ailment is a waste of your time. i just know changing up your routine makes it better somehow. I dont know what you enjoy or like but thats the path to tale here. A fun fact is your body can NOT feel two emotions at the same time so if your laughing and happy...or even angry and mad. You cant be panicking at the same time. When you start really freaking and the adrenaline rushes grab a pen and paper and write down every single symptom. Do not try and diagnose anything, its a panic disorder..but write down every symptom. Do this every single time.  After a few times you will giggle at it because you will realize its the body reacting to adrenaline and it will ride itself out. You must believe this and believe me 18% of the population is in the same boat as you. There is no happy pill available. Wed all be on it. They have meds that help until u get used to them or addicted to them but this is something. That you can conquer, even if its one panic attack at a time. if its decent outaide id say go outside amd walk around a bit. Even if you stay within the compounds of your home. Sit down in the ground and look around at nature, at the trees..in warmer weather by the water is really soothing. 
    • Posted

Thank you for all of the advice and tips,it really is so helpful.

I'm freaking out right now, pulse in tummy, sweaty, shaky, worrying about leaving the house tomorrow because I always panic.

I do need to change something, you are so right about that, I watch the clock constantly timing how long it has gone on for but if I can do something different perhaps I can break that cycle.

I've just been pacing the kitchen, it dropped the adrenaline a bit just for a few minutes.

I am on diazepam but after 17 years it's not helping much now and the docs want to add something else but I have med phobia anyway, I am starting online CBT on Monday and trying to think positively about that too.

• Posted

If you don't believe your doctor.  Go get a second opinion from another doctor so you can rule it out.
  • Posted

Its so freaking hard to believe its anxiety But so easy to not believe the doc & there's nothing wrong !!! I am going through this & some days I feel like a maniac trying to find an indefinite answer 😲

Dont know what your beliefs are but for me I know I need to accept there isn't one indefinite answer & I can only rely on my faith in God

• Posted

If you truely are suffering anxiety, it is best to acknowlegde it and accept it as well.  Fighting anxiety only creates more anxiety.  Finding time to relax daily possibly with guided meditation, sitting in silence in prayer also helps.  Hope you feel peace soon!
  • Posted

Since my first post about this 15 days ago somethings have reduced,the sweating has for example but the fear and agoraphobia remain huge problems so i am much more accepting of the fact that itis not a physical problem at all now, just a horrible psychological one.
    • Posted

Well that is good news, remind yourself that you are making progress.  I think you would be better thinking that you anxieties are uncomfortable not horrible.  See you could certainly benefit from CBT,  because our thinking gets distorted.  It is common with anxiety to think of things as being catastrophes.  "What if's" are the major culprits.  Try looking up CBT and try reading about the common distorted thoughts we have when we have anxiety. 
    • Posted

Thank you, i think in the shock of how bad things got so quickly i was searching for reasons and found it hard to accept that it was bad anxiety and not something else.

I've had 2 online CBT sessions, it's early days but i like the structure of it and am hoping it will make some difference.

• Posted

You may try guided meditation, it teaches us how to accept our feelings and thoughts without judgement, which is a couse of our anxiety/depression.  Even if it is for 5 minutes and then more time as you go on.  It is certainly worth a try.  It has been great for me, when I was in high anxiety.  Also try mindfulness another way of learning to accept feelings and thoughts without being judgemental toward ourselves.  Read about them.  A lot to gain, nothing to lose!
    • Posted

Thank you, I've found some guided meditation on youtube and will give it a try, like you say I have nothing to lose and anything that helps me to relax even just a little bit is very welcome at the moment, I read a bit about mindfulness too but need to read further into that, people do seem to agree that it's very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.