I feel like I'm losing control, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm quite new to this, so I'll try to make it short yet detailed. 

It all started when school did after the Christmas holidays. 

I'm 17, yet sometimes I feel like I lived long enough to see what the world is really like in order to know whether I want to be a part of it later or not. 

It all started with a simple pressure in my head, it felt heavy all of a sudden. Along with my eyes which too felt heavy all the time, like I was tired, even though I was feeling energized. 

Then came the dizziness and lightheadedness. This terrified me, as I thought something was really wrong with me, a brain tumour or something along those lines. I was, and still am dizzy and lightheaded all the time. It never stops and it scares me so much that sometimes I freak myself out with the thought that I'm going completely crazy and then, of course, I'm even more scared. I feel like there is something in my throat, making it hard to breathe and swallow. I can't concentrate on anything other than these feelings because I feel like I'd completely lose control. This is joined with the feeling of just floating through each day, feeling like this isn't reality, like I'm watching myself from far away. 

These feelings only seem to ease when someone or something takes my mind off of them, like friends, yoga, meditation. The problem is that even if those make me feel a little better, these feelings are never gone. They're always there. 

I haven't been diagnosed with anything, as no one knows about this. However, I've dealt with what I think is depression in the past few years, could these recently noticed feelings stem from it? 

Why did they only come up now? I've never felt like this before and I'm terrified that something is wrong with me. 

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have all of your symptoms too plus a few more added ontop of those. It could be anxiety. I think what happens with me is my neck muscles tense up which restricts some of the blood flow to the brain. It's nothing that can hurt you though.  Plus it messes with the nerves too. 

I have the back of the head heaviness where it feels like I need to hold my head up with my hand or shoulder at times, dizziness, lightheadedness and full facial numbnesses. I've had all of the scans done and I'm normal. I feel like you have the same thing I have or very very similar. Almost all day for me too.  

What really works for me is going for a walk. Especially with this cold weather we have here it feels extra nice. Gets my mind off of what's going on with me. Gives me an hour or so of just feeling like me.

But they come up whenever. Mine came out of the blue just sitting there enjoying a TV show. I've always had anxiety but I've never figured out the root of it. It's just there both consciously and unconsciously. I could be enjoy something and BAM it's like my brain hates me.  You're not alone with this. 

One thing I would do though is get some blood work done. Especially your thyroid.  Maybe your Vitamin B12, magnesium, Iron (with Ferritin) and Vitamin D.  A lot of those can cause the symptoms you have too. It will help rule out some things for you.  

• Posted

You need to just go to the doctor and have a physical and tell the doctor what is going on. Be very honest. If you partied or used anything illegal still be very honest. They will need to do blood tests and give you an exam. Very important to clear that before you can assume this is anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.