I have just (finally!) booked my operation, 16th of October..

Posted , 15 users are following.

I feel sick to my stomach. But I am going to do it, and I am going to get my life back.

Just read through the threads, and can not find anything linked to cars.

We have a range rover that is really high to get into, will I manage after the operation to come home? Or do I need a step? Or try and arrange another car.

I am not busy telling myself I could struggle on for another 6 months, feeling worried.  

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Others may tell you differently, but my experience is that you will be quite unable to get into a high car with any ease, even with a step.  Borrow a friend's low car to get you home?

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you given the huge response, we will definitely think of another way. Desperate to come home and I am not even there yet! Just planning my escape with precison! 
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

Well done. Hope the op goes well for you.

The high car is a no-no as far as I am concerned.

So is a low car too!

If need be you could get a friend to pick you up or maybe a taxi driver who is disabled-friendly, if you see what I mean. There are some really kind taxi drivers around in my experience.

Hugs

• Posted

In my area you can pre-book an ambulance to take you home. They will make sure that you're okay.
    • Posted

Just got a quote £800!!!!!!! I asssume champagne and chauffeurs come with it at that price!!!
  • Posted

Hi Rose better too high, than too low, but depends on your height.put a plastic carrier bag on the seat and get in bottom first, then keeping then operated leg as straight as possible, slide round on the plastic bag, it makes it easier to manoeuvre yourself in being slipped slippery.good luck with the op and look forward to a better life.
    • Posted

Remember to pull it out once you are in of your driver needs to break hard you will slide forward sharply .. Not good.. My car is quite low.. Seat back as far as poss, recline it a little bum first then both legs together ( like a lady) keep leg straight if need be rest your leg on something like a small bag or folded towel just so it don't sit too low for comfort I had a two hour drive home so this helped
    • Posted

My drive is similar to yours, somewhat dreading the obstacle course in the efforts to get to my own bedroom, but thought some pre planning might help. Thank you for your reply it is so helpful to know.
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

I wouldn't try to climb into a range rover!

My Yaris with a cushion on the seat and a bin liner on top of that to help swivel in and out is good for me and I am 5'6 ".

• Posted

Gone completely off the idea of going home in the rr after reading these posts, so glad I asked, thank you for your reply! 
  • Posted

I would not go home in a Range Rover, uncemented hip, stiff and sore, try to have someone pick you up in a car.
    • Posted

I agree, just organising it now x Thank you
  • Posted

A physio or OT should be able to teach you how to get into a higher vehicle. At your pre surgery hip class, I would mention what type of vehicle you have and see what they say. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.