I have just (finally!) booked my operation, 16th of October..

Posted , 15 users are following.

I feel sick to my stomach. But I am going to do it, and I am going to get my life back.

Just read through the threads, and can not find anything linked to cars.

We have a range rover that is really high to get into, will I manage after the operation to come home? Or do I need a step? Or try and arrange another car.

I am not busy telling myself I could struggle on for another 6 months, feeling worried.  

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi rose you just did the best thing you could ever do if you were in so much pain. Don't worry about the car you will be able to get in and out of it just fine. I'm a small girl 105 pounds I did amazing after the surgery I know size is a big difference but mentally if you're not smaller it's OK you can do it. I'm 47 and almost back to my normal life. Good luck!!!! It's worth it

Scoops

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Well done for booking your op, by Christmas you will be great to have all the family (as per a prev post) just get everyone roped in to do veg, set table etc.

I have a very low sports car and the easiest car/vehicle I got into was a RR. You put your none-op foot on the running board to push you up, with help and sit bottom first then both legs, knees together to slide (plastic bag) your feet into the footwell, have a cushion for your back/cusion op hip.

Best wishes,

Dot.

• Posted

That is reassuring! I am most worried when I come to escape of the hosptial is being scuppered at the last hurdle by the car! And the stairs is a pretty worrying prospect too, but like to think at least I will be home by then and will have survived the ordeal!  Thank you for your message.
  • Posted

Hi Rose. Congratulations on your brave and life saving decision to have the surgery!!! I'm so pleased you've decided and I'm sure your girls will benefit tremendously.

I came home in a Toyota Land Cruiser. And I love being in the high car, but then at 5'7" or 172 cm I am quite tall. I back up to it and sort of hoist my bum in first, then lift my right operated leg in, swivel around and bring the left leg in. Or something like that. I'm not too sure because I find it so easy I don't have to think about it. 

I suggest you try to get into the passanger's side and pretend you've got a dud hip on your operated side and see how you go. You have probably got a handle on the ceiling of the car you can use to help hoist yourself up. Can someone help lift the leg in? If it's difficult I think a step is a good idea if you need it and much easier then borrowing a car every time you want to go out. 

All the best

Keena

• Posted

I am not as tall as you, only 5'4 so this is the worry. In fact I struggle tremendously even now withouth the replacement, but that is because the pain is so bad in my hip. Husband now looking into alternative, as it is one worry I don't really need at the moment. I am sure I will be leaping into the car with glee when it is time to leave,or maybe not! 

I am going through second thoughts today, thinking I can limp on like this for another year or two, that it isn't THAT bad, I always associate surgery with something literally life saving, and I am not dying (exactly) !! Now it is booked very jittery.

• Posted

Hi Rose

Can I ask what you're scared might happen? Sometimes if we say what we are worried about it can help. The worry loose it's power to hijack our minds. I think at one time you mentioned your mum had a difficult time when her hip was replaced.

• Posted

You are not dying on the outside definitely, but inside..........

I agree with Kikeena. Speak your fears. That way they won't overwhelm you.

When I get my date you can give me the same advise back !

Xx

• Posted

I am scared of three mains things, they are mostly completely irrational but they are there:

I am scared I will not come back from the operating theatre and my children will be without a mother

I am scared I am nowhere near as brave as all of you and the pain will be unbearable

I am scared the hip will be a disaster and I will be like my Mum.

I am scared everyojne will be nice for a week and I will be left to do everything unable to cope.

I know the chances are slim of any of these happening but I am being really honest. I am being sick physcially with worry today.

• Posted

Thank you for being so honest Rose.

When we Encounter the Unknown our minds play havoc with our emotions. We project all hell on our future. We say things like. 'How could I be so lucky for everything to go well " but why not be.

Fear is just that Rose, fear. Not reality. It has no basis in truth and other than the first fear which we all have when we feel vulnerable , you can handle the others standing on your head. You can work through all possible obstacles. What you can't do is believe your prediction for the future is in any way true.

One step at a time. Handle it IF it happens. Don't waste energy worrying it might. It doesn't change a thing.

Stay in touch

Lyn

• Posted

The few days before the operation it is difficult to sleep, or to think of anything else. It is quite hard, but I am sure it will be fine, and the operatio n will be a success. I am sure other people have fears that are personal to their experience. It is just what it is. 

More than anything I hope to live a life with two legs and not one!!!! It will all be fine I am sure....

• Posted

I know Rose. I have the same fears but I know they are not the truth.

It was really courageous of you to speak them. One day when we both have two legs we will look back on this and understand all the other pre op people.

I decided to drive to the supermarket today. My left leg doesn't like the clutch but I thought I needed to get out. Firstly, a member of staff shouts across the checkouts. "I have found the Femfresh for you !" I hobbled out of the shop red faced to find a car had parked so close to mine I could open the door wide which is what I have to do to get in. Anyway I struggled with legs akimbo to get in and as I shut the door realised there was an old man in the back seat of the car copping an eyeful.

Got home climbed two flights of stairs slowly and painfully to realise the shopping was still melting in the boot!

I know how hard all this is Rose but we won't know ourselves when it's done.

Lyn x

• Posted

Hi Rose, 

First                             congratulations on making the decision to go ahead and have the surgery .... we know that this was very difficult and took a lot of courage .. you will have the pre-op jitters and nerves, so come back here okay ... 

as for the RR .... I would prefer a higher car over a low one - you might not be as strong in your legs yet, but getting in and out of a low seater is very challenging - there is no way (at least for me) to not break the 90 degree rule -  cushion wrapped in liner on seat - seat pushed all the way to the back - then lower myself while holding on to anything but the car door - swing legs like a lady inside , trying to not hit the steering wheel - turn and push seat forward ... getting out same but then in reverse with pulling your self up and out of car ... 

but this is my personal experience - 

I am with Kikeena here - sounds so much easier .... 

take care sweetheart

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Renee, you were on here the last time when I first found out, and hedged as long as I could. How are you? 

I have barely slept, feel sick all the time, butterflies all the time and can't look at my children without wanting to cry. Not sure I am doing terrribly well!!! But doing my best to keep going and not showing them that I am so deeply worried xx

• Posted

If you don't have a friend who has a medium size vehicle to pick you up or don't want to get a taxi, you might consider a rental car just for the day that you come home from the hospital or for the next few doctors visits.  You could struggle on for another 6 months but it would just extend your anxiety period.  I know!  That's why I finally took the plunge!  I was so scared but it's better to go ahead and get it over with.
  • Posted

Good for you.,are you having it done privately Rose?  Just wondered how you could book it yourself.  I thought you were told the date you were to go in.  Anyway good luck.  Get a friend to pick you up in a car with low seat!  Love Hilltop
    • Posted

I did book it privately, I knew those endless installments would be good for something one day!! I think the care is better on the NHS though. My mother had her operation privately and her sister on the NHS and the care was far superior on the NHS, the hip club before, the care, the aids, my auntie still talks about her great it was. The upside of private healthcare is you can choose the date, which helps as I was hoping for a Friday and escape on Sunday! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.