I need to come off mirtazapine!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 45mg of mirtazapine for around 4 years (i also have a prescription for 30mg of amitryptalin and 20mg propranolol but i have stopped raking these a few months ago). Im absolutely miserable with my weight ive gained about 5 stone and cannot lose any weight. im constantly hungry and also binge because im miserable. I appoached my gp about changing AD due to the weight gain a stone ago but he said no others would be suitable, but every part of my brain (barr the little sensible bit) is telling me its the medication and ill lose weight if I stop. has anyone had any success in stopping or reducing and using mindfulness apps or absolutely anything? thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My messages keeps getting deleted by moderators, dont have a clue why and no explanation is given so ill write one last time.

Quitting mirtazapine could more easily be done in stages instead of quitting cold turkey, that's my advice for you as I myself decided to quit cold turkey and the symptoms have been great even tho I only were on the drug for 8-9 days.

As for the weight you get less apatite when you quit mirtazapine naturally, I gained a couple of kilos and lost them in a matter of some days. So no need to worry there.

What you can do is try to make a diet based on food that helps produce seratonin when you start to reduce the intake of mirtazapine. Also alot of sunlight or just natural light alongside some moderate excercise is good for seratonin production. This way you will start to feel like you have a goal and that you do something thats healthy and good for you. Also wanting to do better and have a better and happier life with a good plan can be motivating in itself and keep you focused. It can also help take your mind of the feelings of low seratonin and moodswings that might come, or not as the whitdrawel of mirtazapine is very individual. Tapering of the drug very slowly can help you a whole lot i think instead of just abrubtly or near abrubtly quitting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.