I think i may have a overactive thyroid and im 18, need advice?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

Im a 18 year old female, perfectly healthy, not allergic to anything or nothing like that. I am at the doctors on Thursday for a blood test as I think I have a Over Active Thyroid. I go very hyper then all of a sudden I can be tired and could  go to sleep. Some days I feel irritated and angry and do take this out on other people. Its like i have alot of energy/very hyperactive then I burn out and need time to rest. My mam has a thyroid problem so does my Gran (my mams mam). I am a little nervous and scared. Are there any risks with having a thyroid problem. I know I am 18 but I read that it can cause problems with having children etc..? Can someone please give me some advice on this.

Thanks,

Jessica.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi jessie44

Just let you know my neice has had overactive thyriod and she had a baby last year and a month a go she had her thyriod removed I also have overactive thyroid and graves disease also a parathyroid and I'm waiting for mine to be removed aswell my mother had the same and she had the RAI TREATMENT so don't worry to much and speak to your doctor and write all your questions that you want answers too...

• Posted

Thanks for replying! & ah good!  I was a little worried when I looked on the internet and it said infertility. I know I am young but Im just thinking of my future. What was your symtoms of having a over active thyroid? I think I have had it for ages now (years) and my appointment is at 10am on Thursday. Will i find out if there is something wrong with my Thyroid on the day or not? Also, I have never had a blood test done in my life, do they put the needle in the middle of your arm (in the vein bit) Sorry for all the questions!!

Jessica x

• Posted

Jessie44 ye my neice is only 20 and she was only told when she was pregnant that she must have had it for a few yrs before as she had the swelling around her next long before and all the symptoms long before find out she was expecting x
    • Posted

Oh god, I am just glad I got an appointment just scared as I dont know much about it 
    • Posted

I had symptoms for many years (5yrs) I thought I was going through the change as I'm old (38now) and I was told 3 yrs ago when a locum doctor at gp sent me for bloods and yes to the middle of arm in vain. She went mad as my thyroid was flagged up and had been for many yrs of me having blood tests and no one had picked up on it, she then referred me to hospital to see a endocrinologist (thyroid doctor) and been on med ever since . Told her my symptoms of feeling on top of the world one min then low the next feeling tired and being unable to sleep and aching all over (that's the worst) feeling hungry but eating very little. Mood swings was bad (my kids learnt to stay out the way) lol. Meds have helped a bit and I went into remission for 6 mnths then last mnths I went for routine bloods and appointment and I was at 26.8 which is the highest iv ever been so went bk on the list for op.. Good lick with appointment and don't worry make sure you write any questions you want answers to . By the way if you are hyper then you should be referred to hospital but if you hypo then doctor surgery will deal with you x

• Posted

My mood swings are bad too. I have them days I wake up and feel VERY irritated and angry then it turns into tears. I was looking at family photos yesterday, ( I dont speak to my brother or dad, I havent seen my dad in years and my brother lives in same town but hardles see him)  and I had to go upstairs and cry and it felt like I needed to cry and cry and let everything out but I dont know why/: 

Jessica

• Posted

I have them days aswell not good at all , have had a few the last few weeks and not good when you go on holiday with the family (3 kids 2 grandkids son-inlaw and hubby) and all in one caravan lol ??. I say just concrete on getting yourself sorted with your health and don't worry bout family that will sort it's self out,

Kelly

• Posted

It sucks!! Its the worst feeling ever, I know there is something up because im not a nasty person at all but when I have them days I take it out on my boyfriend then the tears come and its just horrible so hopefully they can sort my health out then everything will be better. What meds do you normally take for a over active thyroid. i dont know if i defiantly have something wrong with my thyroid but im 98 percent certain. 

Jess xx

• Posted

I was on carbimazole 25mg but that didn't agree with me and made me sick as a dog and now I'm on PTU 50MG a day plus forum 3D for calcium as i have hypercalcima caused by the parathyroid.

Kelly

• Posted

I dont know what any of them are. I heard that some tablets make you put on weight, depressed or make you very sick. I actually work full time in a office will this effect me working when i start on the meds?

Jess x

• Posted

Talk to docs and carbimazole is the common one they use as it works for most people ,I'm just one of the rare ones and I'm on a lot of other meds so that could have been a clash of items. I have long term ill health witch iv had since a baby and I work night as a care assistant so I know how you feel with the work side of things.

Kelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.