i've got an overactive thyroid and noHi one understands how i feel

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

About 8 weeks ago, after suffering with an extremely sore throat I went to the doctor who said I had oral thrush and that she wanted to send me for bloodtests as this was unusual because I've never smoked. My results came back showing I had a slightly overactive thyroid. I was put on propylthiouracil 50mg twice a day as my husband and I had been trying for a baby and were not sure if I was pregnant or not and these were less likely to harm the baby if I was pregnant. I had another blood test 2 weeks later which showed my levels had gone higher and they have arranged for me to see the hospital (which is in 2 weeks time). Since then, I have found I am not pregnant and have been put on carbimazole instead and am having blood tests every 3- 4 weeks. My levels are going up and down and I seem to be going back and forth from the doctors with endless sore throats and feeling unwell. I experience daily shakes of the hand, my body feels jittery, i feel emotional, agitated, sweats, I can't concentrate when people are talking to me and I find it really hard to sit still (even for half an hour in the evening to watch tv)- it's like my body's on overdrive and I can't slow it down! But on the other side of that, I feel exhausted so much that to drag myself out of bed in the mornings and feel drained throught the day- it's like there two parts to me that battling to win and no one understands! Im 32 and have a 3 year old and a 22 month old children- my husband works long hours so I'm left trying to do everything which I normally fine and I love being at home with my little ones but I've really struggled over the last couple of weeks (my last bloods came back saying my levels have risen quite high) and I feel so guilty and and frustrated and so lost- I don't know myself anymore (so much much so that I am ignoring meeting friends as I seem to talk nonsense and really fast and I feel like a fool in front of them).I also feel frustrated as my doctor has recommended that I don't fall pregnant (which is highly unlikely because of this) while this is still a problem because it can effect the baby's development- they said it generally takes around 2 years for an overactive thyroid to be corrected and feel so frustrated at having to wait to try for another baby but no one understands why I feel like this and say stuff like "you should be grateful for the 2 you've got"- which I am but I still feel sad, maybe angry at my body for being like this!  I know i've jibbered on but I just hope someone might reply who knows how I feel because no one seems to understand me- when I try to explain how I feel to my family and my husband, they give me that look as if to say it can't be that bad or they come home occassionally and say stuff like, have an early night you'll feel better or oh you feel poorly again? Like I'm making it up!

Please help

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Hayley

I am sorry you are having such a rough time.   You need to get your GP to check your WCC as thyroid disease can affect your immune system and this makes you susceptible to things like sore throats.  I would not advise you getting pregnant until your thyroid is sorted.

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear about your condition.  I can only say from my experience. My experience was similar but I was older.  This condition is quite unnerving and I had to take steps to curb my anxieties and concentration, which was about everything. The only things that helped me were exercises including breathing exercises, yoga and doing things that I was comfortable with then include other things that made me feel uncomfortable.  I did not like going to large shopping complex and some large supermarkets but I had to overcome this by going small.  

The medication itself may have side effect but these should lessen as your body gets used to it.  

You are being looked after now, look at the results of your blood tests each month.  See if you can incorporate a regime to help you concentrate less on your condition.  

I still feel anxious now, but I can control the anxieties better.  

Take care

• Posted

Hi Hayley, I really know how you feel and sympathise with you. I too am 33 year old but I don't have children hopefully planning soon when my thyroid settles down. I am now into my 8th week back on Carbonimazole and I feel loads better. My bloods are nearly back to normal (hopefully)... I had all the symptoms you had and looking back now I really wasn't well, people aren't very sympathic to this we wish we could go to bed early and wake up feeling refreshed!.

so just really commenting to let you know your are not on your own. I have an appointment on Thursday with my endocrinologist to see how I am getting on, I have a swollen thyroid (goitre) and wishing this would go away. Take care x

• Posted

HI Haley ,

I have had graves disease for four years and was first diagnosed at the age of 51.

I went to the doctors thinking I had developed bi polar I was so manic, I was in a mess.

The blood test showed a very high reading of thyroxine. I had all the other symptoms and also a craving for salt. However the other syptoms paled into insignificence in comparrison to how I felt emotionally. Sadly I am having a flare up at the moment and I too have sore throats and no energy. I reallt admire how you are managing to cope looking after your children and I would say be kind to yourself , Practicing mindfulness and yoga do help.

Take care and take heart once themeds kick in you will feel so much better.X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.