I've had plantar fascitis for 9 months and have tried everything

Posted , 8 users are following.

for nine months I have had plantar fascitis I have tried stretches, night splints, electroade treatment, ice, anti inflammatory. Nothing has given me any relief I'm also going to a physio therapist right now.

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I literally feel your pain. I have had it for about seven months. At times I have thought that taping and support sock helped to the point where it was almost totally healed. But sure why but over weekend it started hurting alot more again.
    • Posted

Does anyone know what I should do
  • Posted

Also should mention anti inflammatory didn't help and strangle enough either did the Percocet I was taking for a shoulder injury. I thought that when I took oral steroids for my shoulder it may have helped my foot too but hard to tell cause my foot pain has been on and off so hard to tell

• Posted

I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  My plantar fasciitis began around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the area of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone.  This begins from trauma and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia (just a few fibers) that results, naturally, in inflammation which is the body's way of healing any tissue injury.  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion your heel!!!  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  (I plan to use them indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone. 

That's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.   

• Posted

I forgot to say that I also were custom orthotics and I'm 13 years old isn't plantar fascitis most common in people 3 times my age

• Posted

Make sure your orthotics are very soft and cushy.
    • Posted

Hi Eli,

13 is very young to have pf as your tendons are very elasticky still where us oldies have tightening tissue do to age. PF has many causes and is often due to a straining of the calf or pf while running or jumping and it can be due to a boney spur on the heel which sounds likly in your case.

Follow doknabox's advice to cusion the heel with gel heel pads and try soaking your feet in warm water to increase the circulation. Cold does ease the pain but does little to cure the problem. Go back to your doctor to check that it is pf and get a blood test to make sure its not a uric acid problem that is the cause of gout which is often mistaken for pf as it affects the toes and heel causing swelling and lots of painer, I have both so know how painful they both are but I'm painfree at the moment with just a twinge to remind me its still there if I stop using the gel heel pads.

Gel heel pads are cheap from online shops and you can get several pairs at £2 a pair so you can have them in all your shoes. Always wear them as a pair, never just one shoe otherwise that can cause more problems.

• Posted

Hi Eli,

do you do a strenuous sport like Rythmic gymnastics or ballet.

Because I know a few other girls one 10 and one 12 who both have PF. Through there gymnastics and continuous useage of the feet.

They were both out of gym for one season but they did get cured.

I think the younger you are it will be able to heal but if you are doig sport you must reat and give it time to get better.

• Posted

I'm a 13 year old boy I don't do ballet. I do play baseball though

• Posted

Hi Eli,

I hope you'll ask the physio therapist about EPAT (Extracorporal Pulse Activation Technology) sometimes referred to as ESWT or shockwave therapy or Google it and see if you can find a doctor/podiatrist in your area who knows about it and offers it. It's clinically proven, very effective and non-invasive.

Many on this site recommend rest, stretching, ice, NSAIDs, massage or other, along with cushioning. Orthotics can help only after the tissue has regenerated. With an MRI or ultrasound your doctor will be able to look at it and then tell you the damage that's been done to the tissue.  

If your situation is chronic, you may need to pay attention to and get help for repairing the tissue.  In some cases, the traditional treatments above just won't do the trick.

I don't know about you but I don't have the luxury of months to just put up my feet and rest and then pray for the day with no pain.

I hope you'll check it out.

• Posted

i have done electroade treatment which is the same thing as ur saying I did it for 2 months it was completely gone for  2 weeks and then it came right back. I did the treatment 2 times a week
    • Posted

Are you in USA? I'm ready to try that wondering if my doc does it. I'm gonna ask.

• Posted

I'm in Toronto Ontario 

• Posted

Anyone know if you can do it in USA?
    • Posted

It didn't work on me and it's quite expensive. I had it done through my chirpracter

• Posted

I have great insurance it may cover it
    • Posted

Hi Eli,

Just wanted to make sure you knew it's actually not the same thing at all.  There are lots of things out there-ie. stim, ultrasound, laser etc- but EPAT (or ESWT) is different. 

Again, really hope you'll ask around.  It only takes 3-5 treatments, once per week.

I just Googled shockwave therapy Toronto and came up with the following for you: Rebalance Sports Medicine, Ace Physiotherapy, and many others came up as well.

That being said, it's not a magic bullet and you may have something else going on that requires a different protocol.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jull,  I am in the US. Here EPAT is not covered by insurance--it's a cash pay modality.  That being said, with how high our deductibles are in the US--nothing is really "covered" anymore.  You're either paying with your HSA or with your premium or other.  

Personally, I'd worry less about covered v.s not and more about what's the right treatment for you and your condition that are going to get you feeling better faster and back to being active and pain free.

Good luck!

• Posted

I shouldn't brag but I have no deductible. I will be working forever so I keep my insurance. Gonna look into this. I think ipt I used for my arm might do this Going to doc for follow up today and will ask if he knows. Thanks for advice. I need to heal up ASAP. I know that part of the reason I'm not healing up is I refuse to stop excercising. I have cut down and modified but really don't wSnt to have to stop. Also I walk a lot at work. I am wearing gel pads and tApe everyday now and it helps

• Posted

Good for you!  Feel free to brag!  smile

The nice thing about EPAT is that you can still remain active. You might need to limit it a bit but you won't be restricted by a boot, cast or other.

The fact that you said, "I  need to heal up ASAP" again leads me to really believe that this might be the investment you need to make in yourself to get you back to healthy and active.

Keep me posted.  I'd really love to know how it goes for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.