IBS and diverticulitis concerns

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had IBS most of my life, mostly it was just a nuisance.  I would go back and forth between constipation or frequent loose bowel movements with cramping if I ate too much fiber. (I seem to be more sensitive to fiber then most people.) I controled these bouts with immodium but tried not to over use it.  Less then a week ago I came off antibiotics from a first ever divirticulitis attack.  I am okay now... no fever no sharp pains but I had a bad reaction to the strong antibiotics and it made my ribs feel like they were being pulled apart.  They feel better but still hurt a bit although not like before. In the last few days I have tried to slowly add fiber into my diet but it has been tough.  I seem to be unable to get a middle ground.  I am either a little constipated or I am having 5-7 loose (not diahrea) bowel movements with cramping, over the space of two or three hours; usually in the morning.  I have found out I cannot tolerate prunes or prune juice as in the days I have the problem the worst it hits two to three hours after having prunes in some form.  After getting off the prunes I tried just one serving of Citricel the next day, a third of a raw apple at lunch along with a whole wheat sandwich (nothing greasy or spicy). I also had some grapes in the evening and seemed to be okay, but a very tiny bit plugged just the next morning.  Next day I ate the same pretty much but added 8 oz of apple juice with the Citricel in the morning.  Did this for two days and each day after it was like I had done prune juice again.  After two to three hours of not being able to get too far from a bathroom I am left feeling bloated and gassy for the rest of the day. I am also lactose intolerant so take lactaid.  Could I also be Sorbitol intolerant?  How can I find out?  I just am guessing here... I just don't know what to do.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi gail, maybe you can't determine which one will work and which diet will not because you keep on changing it too fast... how will you know which one causes diarhhea or constipation or vice versa...have you done any tests? try fennel, this might help you regulate your digestive secretions..all the best!
    • Posted

Hello threena58977, am trying to elimanate or add one thing at a time. However, if it seems to be causing me alot of distress, I may only try it one or two days and then see if eliminating it or cutting back on it makes me feel better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.