IBS caused by stomach flu (gastroenteritis)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

3 weeks ago today, I had a nasty 24-hour case of gastroenteritis: vomiting, fever, body aches, the whole nine yards. The fever and vomiting have subsided since then, but I'm still experiencing mild lower abdominal discomfort/tightness (more on the right side, but sometimes the left and middle), alternating between diarrhea and constipation, feeling feverish (but no fever), bloating, and the occasional lack of appetite/feeling full soon after eating. In the past couple days especially at night I've been getting alternating burning/cold sensations in my groin area that sometimes shoot down into my thighs and legs (especially on the right side). Does this sound like IBS to you? I had gastritis but medication has pretty much taken the heartburn out of the equation. I have an abdominal x-ray and ultrasound tomorrow but I'm still nervous (I have anxiety issues and have been freaking myself out lately over the worst case scenarios). Also, my mom has Barrett's esophagitis, her mom had ulcers, and my paternal grandmother has IBS, if genetics have anything to do with it.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jordan,

First off, try not to get so worked up. That is not easy I know, stressing is not good for you. You only have a few hours to go and they will be doing tests on you and the answers you need. Would not like to say what you have because all the symptoms you say I have. But, I suffer with several bowel issues as well as Barretts Oesophagus. It's hard to say what belongs to what. Hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

Thanks Janet. I'm definitely feeling better. More nervous than usual because I'm studying in a foreign country (from the US, studying in the Czech Republic) and don't have access to the medical care that I'm used to.
    • Posted

jordan,

Czech kefir if you can tolerate it...it contains the yeast probiotics that target viruses...that would be assuming the flu was from a virus and not a bacterial infection...therefore perhaps alternate between kefir and yogurt...if you've had Hpylori then both kefir and yogurts seem to be more tolerable than gastritis patients from other categories...the nasties from flu often colonize the llium area (near the appendix) lightly massage without experienceing sharp pains..if so..only light finger taps.

a circular massage from your llium up the ascending colon, and lightly across the transvere colon, finally down the descending...always lightly intermittent might be more favorable then a lengthy duration.

Get confirmation of all of the above tomorrow from your attending dr's...

Jane, always has good advice...and wish you the very best from the sunny west coast...Claudio

• Posted

It's always worse when not in your own familiar surroundings. I am in UK and thinking of going to Australia but at present not keen on the long flight and not sure if want to be out of my comfort zone. So it must be hard for you. I hope that their medical care is good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.