IBS & Legumes/beans

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I've seen an NHS dietitian and she has advised that I avoid legumes/beans due to their skins being an irritant to the gut. As a vegetarian for ten years who has been able to tolerate such foods (and depended on them) for a very long time this is quite a sad and sudden prospect.

Has anybody else had a sudden intolerance to beans/legumes and is there anything in this family you can tolerate? Do you have any advice? Do you think this could be incorrect advice even?

I haven't yet been diagnosed with ibs and I have to follow this avoidance diet for three weeks to even see if there is a change so I guess I'm just feeling a bit anxious over how I'm going to get my protein in this time. I don't want to replace this with processed quorn. Plus I guess I'm just in denial about beans being a cause of some of my digestive issues of late. 

For the record, I have had issues with nausea and did have issues with cramps and bloating which seems to have dissipated somewhat in the last month. I've had some acid reflux but this has nearly gone. Also if I was going to lean one way it would ibs-c but bowel movements have been regular albeit with some constipation infrequently. 

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I also went to see NHS dietitian, I will be starting the elimination diet soon, she has told me to try tofu,

Not sure what it is like, I have read about it, so will

Give it a try

Junie

• Posted

I have eaten tofu for many years (mainly processed if I'm honest) and very much enjoy it. I haven't had since all of my digestive issues started 2 months ago so I hope to enjoy it again. 
    • Posted

I have never tried it, my dietitian says when I start the elimination diet I must buy plain tofu,

I have read that you can bake or grill it, so I will try that, if I like it, I will eat it after the diet.

Got to learn how to press it etc. I think it has to be firm tofu for baking .

You know more about it than me .

Hope you find something to help you

Junie

• Posted

I know someone else who cannot tolerate beans. I seem to be OK with them.

I had my gallbladder removed earlier this due due to gallstones.

Not completely settled down.

Think may have IBS.

Having endoscopy next week.

Had hotdog yesterday. Sausage was grilled but onion was raw (as I like it).

I had diarrhoea afterwards!!

Sarah

• Posted

Well ibs is not a diagnosis, its the docs catch phrase for "i dont know and am not concerned about what is causing your condition unless im going to make money of it, so cone back when it causes smthing more serious. Sorry but sad truth and yes its true stay away from them their skin is a protective shield a defensive mechanism and we expell it, as a foreign object.
  • Posted

to a lot of people with  IBS beans are a nightmare, but then everyone with this condition is different, so if you think you tollerate them well then only way to tell is to cut them out for a week or so then try them and see what happens.

you can also try reducing the amount you eat or blending them, as then the skins are less of an issue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.