IBS OR SOMETHING MORE? FEELING SO DESPERATE

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, I'm 42 and a single mum to 2 boys. I take 50mg of Sertraline for (health) anxiety which I was initially prescribed last February. I took it until April then weaned off. However, I found that I still needed it and restarted it 18 days ago.

Usual side effects (headaches, some nausea, jaw clenching) but other than that everything's been OK. My anxiety has gotten worse as expected in the first weeks. Anyway, I had my period on the 12th of July. It was normal, lasted 5 days, some period pain. I'd been advised to take cocodamol for the period pain which I did a few times (but, not too much as it made me quite drowsy). I finished my period on the 16th but was left with upper abdominal discomfort and bloating. It could've been there through my period but unnoticed for that reason.

The bloating is upper abdominal and the pain feels like a dull burning ache. It's not severe or sharp - it's just there. Also lower abdominal cramping which has felt like mild period pain. I also have some lower back/hip aching. My bowel habits remained regular and normal (although a little softer) and occurring twice a day - Sertraline affects the bowels so I want too worried. But, I started with a pressure like feeling of needing poop but all that was happening was wind or maybe a little mucus through straining. I carried on being nauseous on and off but no changes to appetite.

In the early hours of the 21st I was woken up by the pain. I went to the loo for a wee and on returning to bed I ended up in a massive panic attack. I was pouring sweat and felt I was being squeezed by a freezing feeling. I was scared and all I could think about was cancer. What if this is stomach or bowel cancer....

I managed to get a GP appointment yesterday. She's requested full bloods for everything! 2 stool samples, plus a FIT test for blood. She also prescribed Mebeverine (antispasmodic). The tablet has helped to reduce some bloating and the pressure type feeling has reduced. Last night I vomited a couple of times and my appetite has seemingly gone.

Can anyone relate or advise? I feel wound up which I know won't help. I just can't bear the thought of being ill and not being here for my children. The GP was lovely and said that it could be IBS/IBD but would rule everything out aswell. I'm so, so scared. I've already cried this morning and just feel desperate. I have a headache and have been sick since taking the mebeverine.

(my sisters suggested it could even just be a virus)

Thanks in advance for any insight x

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.