Ibs symptoms.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, the last couple of weeks or so I have been getting severe cramping, bloating for abort 5 minutes and then having quite sevre diarrhoea then the pain passes this is happening about three/four times a day mostly in the morning, just wondered if this could be ibs, thanks x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Sarah,

firstly any lower bowel issue is nowdays labeled "IBS" in spite of proper evaluations/such as ruling out certain serious disorders.

"severe"...means...go as quickly as possible to your doctor....In the meantime, change you diet to a gastrititis  type diet, small meals, no animal fats, fried foods, alcohol, spicy, chocolate, raw vegetable/fruits....add some probiotics with each small meal. You lose electrolytes during diarrhea...they need to be replaced and often...ask your local pharmicist for best product..and while at the chemist/pharmacy ask if a psyllium husk seed/powder in very small amounts would also help..do not take after late afternoon...perhaps after a bout...with plenty of water or the electrolyte replacement product.

• Posted

Thank you, have got doctors in about 10 days, I've been drinking plenty of water after each bout and have got diaroylate in cupboard, I have been prescribed lactose for when needed for a different issue but haven't taken any for a couple of weeks haven't dared! Will see what I can cut out of my diet and see if that makes any difference, I can't eat spicy food because of not having a gal bladder so I can rule that outcome thank you ..
    • Posted

Sarah,

Do these “bouts” occur before or after breakfast?

10 days a long time to suffer with these bouts…

This may not be relevant but want to share 2 or 3 cases from memory from similar and one case identical symptoms. After diagnosis, the salmonella toxin was discovered.

There has been two studies, one in 2009 in Germany and one in 2014 in Korea showing efficacy of two probiotic “strains” of

Lactobacillus plantarum and Johnsonii….worth a  try, can not do any harm except in the pocketbook…(Nick said the plantarum was extracted from fermented soy bean food)

I believe plantarum is the prime probiotic in (symprove) and (vsl #3).

Keep in mind these were “strains” isolated from each..so I don’t know of any study with these twoproducts  against salmonella.

But then, you may not have salmonella but a similar bad guy..so I’d yet give it a go. 

and call my mom in the morning….kidding.

Oh, I'd yet call my pharmicist for electrolyte "options"...there could be a product more friendly.

Ann

• Posted

correct my understanding....post meals...as your initial comment included usually in the am...so I conclude bouts occur after meals?

How long after meals?

I presume your up to speed with most digestive issues and process'es....quick simple review,  the "usual" cause of frequent diarrhea is "inflammation"..and in the large bowel. There are probably nearly 100 causes for this issue including 50% of them "unknown" since some have varying and overlaping symptoms.Western med tries to label and isolate symptoms into a "disorder or syndrome".

Too much gas in the intestine

Abnormal  bacteria  or fungals iin the small intestine

Imbalance of microorganisms that usually live in thelarge bowel (dysbacteriosis); sometimes the result of taking antibiotics

Food intolerance, Iam exluding a virus "only" because you didn't mention fever/chills and or nausea

I would yet protect myself from a leaky gut with a good quality fish oil product. Without a gall bladder, occasionally some toxins do not get sterialized before entering the small instestine. The result can be similar symptoms but with an adequate diet and immune system, they usually resolve on their own

I've used pedialyte for electrolyte replacement..while its for children, it also worlks quite well for adults.

What would be most helpful/beneficial would be "What are your thoughts about cause probablities?

• Posted

It can be anything between ten minutes and an hour before get symptoms, I have been under a bit of stress last couple of weeks with mental health issues and losing my job so could be that! I haven't had any bread yet today so could be that!
    • Posted

Stress for sure is "unhelpful"...many ways to overcome this by leading medical pro's but from my view..."easy to prescribe but almost impossible to comply", the most fruitful has been the AA approach.

Intollerances...this is a diy diagnosis process...you can be the best doctor.

Get busy on a productive project like helping another (example only), exercise (brisk walking)..

• Posted

I think you should see your doctor and discuss your symptoms unfortunately any bowel issue seems to be labelled "ibs" these days but it coyld be something else such as your gullet having inflammation or an intolerance reaction to something your eating. Hope you find some answers
    • Posted

Thank you, I had same issues 2013 into 2014 but it was caused by having gall stones and after had gall bladder out last year have only had it happen once of twice, hopefully when see gp he will have some more idea of what it could be x
    • Posted

I have also had my gall bladder removed last april

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.