Incisional hernia progress.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a large incisional hernia repaired using mesh 19 months ago. I keep scaring myself with articles about the unreliability and eventual failure of the mesh. A lot of them are about gynaecological repairs however. Has anyone had problems after this amount of time, or am I just worrying? As usual. I am a 70 year old male and the hernia developed after bowel cancer surgery 31 months ago. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry i didnt have the mesh for the HH repair....If you had a good surgeon have faith in his decision.  I have not heard of anyone having a problem w/the mesh on this forum as yet.  Good Luck to you and have faith
  • Posted

John, I used the mesh. The surgery was 16 months ago. I haven't experienced any problems with it. I'm 52 and had an umbilical hernia while in India; had my surgery there too. I've noticed a few times when it felt like I'd pulled where it was tacked in, but when I had a hip x-ray the doctor saw the pins and showed me...they appeared to look good and he had no concern. I'd say stop reading up on it and worrying yourself. Until there's a problem.  rolleyes
    • Posted

Yes Moandrieu, good advice. I was listening to the radio before I went to sleep and they were going on about mesh repairs and some problems others have had, so I etc.... As far as I know, the mesh was sewn in. Thanks, I will stop reading up on it. Better things to do! 
  • Posted

Don't know much about mesh, but am curious about it.   I will probably be having a hysterectomy sometime this year and they might use mesh - so am wondering if it will be a problem for me.   Hope that you don't have any problems, John.
  • Posted

Hi John:

I had an incissional hernia repaired with mesh on October 20th, 2015. The scar ran from three inches above the left hip bone to the sternum. Like you Im seventy years old but unlike you I'm in big trouble with the surgery. Surgeon will be redoing it towards the end of July. Not the same surgeon but a new and more experieced I hope. It's really hard to get a good doctor around these parts which is Florida, USA.

• Posted

Dear John, we have met n this frum previously, I too am in my 70's and have had a large incisional hernia repair.  I have also read a lot about probems with mesh, but what I have gleaned from it is that it affects around 22% of those who have mesh in some way and a much smaller number are severly affected by the mesh.  Litigation in the states is currently mainly about vaginal mesh slings used for prolapse or incontinence.  There is some evidnece that mesh is not benign and as a foreign body some people react too it in different ways.  The mesh used is the same mesh used in hernia repair.  

I too like you am reasonably ok at the moment, and I iive from day to day, I have decided not to worry unduly about it, but I do sincerely believe that a better way to repair hernia's will be found in the future without the use of mesh. I am hoping that I am in the 78% of those not experiencing any major problems with mesh, Hope tht you are too.    

• Posted

Thanks Shirley. Yes, we have met on this site. Interesting percentages - as you said, hopefully we are in that 78%! I am also hoping that 19 months since surgery is long enough for any problems to emerge. I have a thing about statistics, unfortunately. Some are quite reassuring, others not so much. The big one for me is the bowel cancer surgery which was 31 months ago. So far so good. That surgery led to the hernia a few months later. All the best to you and thanks for your reply. 
  • Posted

As you say the bg one for you is the bowel cancer surgery, I hope it all remains clear for you.  My biggy was my bowels peforating in 2013, incisional hernia following on from the bowel resectioning.  We have both had life changeing and life threatening incidents, I take heart in that I am still here, and I have really learned to appreciate  what some would consider to be the smaller things in life, a sunny day, a beautiful sunset etc.  Take care
    • Posted

Yes. A major scare for both of us! Perforating bowels sounds very painful and urgent. I also had a 'small perforation well away from the tumour,' which was causing a blockage. 'One more night and we could have lost you' and 'the worst I've seen' were the memorable comments from the surgeon. But like you, I try not to dwell on the scare and get on with my retirement, which began just before I turned 70. It's a bit hard at times and it all comes back when I wake up each morning. I've had some counselling which may have helped. Sorry if I've written like this before. Mid Winter down here so not too many sunny days etc but it's good to still be here! Best wishes. 
  • Posted

Dear John, it is all very scary, before all of this happened to me I too had had couselling for depression,  it has so helped me since all of this happened.  Once I recovered from the early trauma from my bowel perforation, at least 3 possiby 6 months, I was able to self counsel and I find it really really helps.  If I am having a bad day, I can talk myself out of getting depressed, I kind of knew deep down in myself that having had five lots of abdominal surgery, life was not going to be a picnic. It is not all bad though, life may not be a bowel of cherries but at least I can still enjoy the cherries.  Take care.  shirley 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.