Incontinece after Aquablation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had Aquablation surgery 4 weeks ago. Procedure and recovery seemed to go well EXCEPT that I am leaking urine. Sometimes its a few drops, other times more, like after bending down. Everything that I read about the procedure says this is very rare, less than 1%. My Uro says it's almost unheard of and to do kegel exercises.

Is anyone else having the same issue or am I truly the unfortunate 1%?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Background: 68, 5' 8", 145lbs. Had a Rezum procedure in May 2017 with different urologist.

Had Aquablation 9/12/2023. Prostate was stuffed up into bladder. 45 gm start; 15 gm after procedure. Had to dig out some bladder stones as part of procedure. Ended up with a Foley in place for 6 days.

After catheter removed, flow volume was much improved. Some minor pain at start of urination. Leaking occurred after urination. Few drops of blood in urine. Had to fold up toilet paper in underwear to catch leaks. Bought a few jock straps to hold toilet paper in place better.

Had 1 month check-up 10/11. Explained leaking/blood in urine issue. Doctor wasn't too concerned, did not do any physical examination. Was told by PA that things could take up to 12 weeks to get back to normal. All physical restrictions lifted.

Started some Kegel exercises 10/22 after internet search to combat leakage. Did for about 2 weeks; no improvement noted.

No blood noticed after 10/24 but was experiencing increased urgency. Still leaking. Had been measuring urine volume periodically. Was 250 to 300ml when reaching "have to go" feeling at end of September. This has decreased to 150ml max with increased frequency. Trending in the wrong direction.

Was going to call doctor, but hung on until after Thanksgiving. Volumes were consistent at just below 100m. Called 11/25 (day after), but they were closed. Called first thing Monday, 11/27. They asked could I be there by noon and I jumped into the car.

PA told me that my urine tested positive for a UTI. I explained that it seemed that there was a hard spot in my urethra on the underside base of penis. (I had noticed this in early October, but foolishly chose to ignore it.) She relayed this to the doctor. When he physically examined me, I pointed out the had spot and he said, "Hmm, you might have a stone there. We better do a cystoscopy."

They squeezed me into the cystoscopy schedule that day. Not only was there a stone in the urethra, there were more stones in the bladder. He told me to schedule a stone removal date with the scheduler on my way out as I had to be under to do this.

Without picking up my pants after the cystoscopy, shuffled over to the toilet to relieve myself. Halfway through, Boom! I was unprepared when the urethra stone shot out. The doctor said this might happen after the cystoscopy opened me up a bit. Flow rate way up after stone came out. Leakage immediately stopped.

My second surprise was the scheduler telling me that the doctor wanted to see me tomorrow, 11/28, as an add-in patient. He wanted the bladder stones out "right away."

After 11/28 stones removal from bladder, flow rate was very good, but volumes low, about 100ml. I started taking drugs for UTI. Volumes gradually improved through December.

Currently (1/6/2024) volumes are consistently over 200ml (300ml record), flow rate is strong, no leakage. Much happier with Aquablation results. Stinking stones.

Maybe you're "stoned" like I was. See what your urologist says.

Happy New Year,

Bill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.