Incontinence following GreenLight laser procedure

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've posted about my months of total incontinence following GreenLight laser surgery, and I'm now up to 7 months.  I finally bit the bullet and scheduled an appointment with a second urologist located in another city.  I selected him because he is associated with a university teaching hospital, and because he is listed as as an expert in dealing with incontinence and urinary reconstruction, and especially in surgery to emplace artificial urninary sphincters (AUS).   I had that appointment yesterday, and I am so glad I had it.

I went to the appointment prepared with a detailed chronolgy of my history and the two procedures, starting with the GL followed by a Gyrus Turp two months later, and then months of PT with zero improvement. First, he asked why I had a second procedure only two months after the first, and I said it was apparently to clean out the debris and resulting inflammation from the first.and to help me regain some bladder control.

While he didn't explicitly say so, it was clear that he thinks there was injury to the external sphincter with the GL procedure.  (My wife, a retired RN was with me and she got the same "between the lines" reading of his comments.)   He went on to say that he used to do GL procedures and had taught doctors that procedure, but he no longer will do it because it is difficult to control precisely.  In particular, he said that GL should only be considered for very large prostates where a lot of the prostatee is to be removed.

I didn't have a massive prostate, but had the median lobe kind of BPH, so I know now that GL was not a good option.  I did request it, I wish I hadn't and I wish the doctor had said,  "No, it's the wrong procedure for your BPH."  So that is now just history for me.d

I then asked him whether there was much chance of my regaining natural continence, and was told that given my lack of any improvement after 7 months, No, it was not going to happen.  He went on to explain in detail that men who have a radical prostatectomy may have a longer recovery time.   In that case, the urethra from the bladder mouth to the external sphincter is cut out, and the urethra is pulled and attached to the bladder.  It is absolutely crucial the external sphincter and nerves are not damaged in this process.  (The area of the extral sphincter is called the "no touch zone" by some experts in the field.

He then took the time to explain how the GL works.  He said that the 532 nm wavelength light must have red blood, or the heating and prostate ablation will not occur.  (I wonder if my BetaThalasemia trait with the smaller red blood cells created an issue?)   Being an engineer, I found this interesting.

I finally asked about how many of the AUS surgeries he does in a year, and learned that he does well over 100 each year, and in fact does one or more about every week.   (Even surgeons need vacation.)    Finally, I feel fortuante and blessed that he and the hospital are within 45 minutes driving time from our home.

His surgery scheduling person is going to call me, and he took a look at his calendar (on his cell phone) and said it should be before the end of the year.   He had some requirements, that a patient not be diabetic, not have had hernia surgery and not be a heavy drinker.  My infrequent social drinks were OK, especially when my wife pointed out that I'd only had one beer and one glass of wine in the last six months.

I'm going ahead and stopping my daily 81mg aspirin and fish oil capsules today, since those have to stop 10 days before a procedure.  That way, if a surgery date opens up becaue of a cancellation, I will be ready to raise my hand and say, "Do me!"    

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Glad you have some answers. Sorry to hear it kinda sounds like the other surgeon screwed up? Hope all goes well. Keep us informed if that's OK.

• Posted

Hi Glenn, thanks for sharng your prostate story. I have been folliowing your stroy for a while.  Although I do not have exactly your same problem, I do have prostate/BPH issues and your sharing has deepened my understanding of how complex prostate issues, procedures and reccovery can be.  I wish you the best of luck as you work to recover.  Thanks!! 
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this Glen. I hope things work out well for you.

John

• Posted

Thanks for sharing, Glenn. Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Glenn  I'm happy that you found someone who care about his patients.  It was very nice of him to explain everything to you.  Maybe this will help you  I hope  God Bless  Ken 

• Posted

All the best to you Glenn...many including myself on this

feel that an improvement is on the way...Take it easy

• Posted

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll be sure to give updates, starting with surgery on December 7, and then the healing process.  (Look on YouTube for the AMS 800 surgery if you're interested.)   In many respects, it's less invasive than TURP, although there are a couple of incisions for this one.

• Posted

Glenn  Just got done watching the  AMS 800 procedure.  All I have to say is that a he?? of a surgery.  I hope it works fo you.  I will keep you in my prayers   Ken
    • Posted

I've talked with two guys who have had it done, and they are highly pleased with the outcome, and say they would do it again in a heartbeat.  One of them lives in the same city I'm in, and I hope to meet him for a cup of coffee, after I have the surgery and the new plumbing is working for me.

• Posted

I wish you luck with it....Just get some pain pills.  I think your going to need it  God speed  Ken
    • Posted

Not expecting any serious pain from this.  i had rotator cuff surgery a couple of years ago, reattaching a couple of tendons to the bone, and after a day or so, some extra strength tylenol was all I needed.   Don't think I'll be doing Kegel exercises following this surgery.  The good thing is that I was told that I will go home without a Foley after this procedure.

• Posted

That is a good think.  I think the top part will be ok but between your legs is going to be very uncomfortble  Take care   Did they say if you can still have sex with that  Ken   
    • Posted

Never discussed the sex issue.  Hasn't been in the picture for me for the last 7+ months anyway with the constant leaking.   One guy I talked with who has the AMS 800 said sex is OK for him.  Of course it will be strictly retro ejaculation.  Being in wet pads and pullups 24x7 is so miserable that it keeps sex off your mind.

• Posted

I guess it will be better then nothing. As long as you can stay dry.  I did look it up most of the men that had it done have retro.  And do have there sex life back.  There is all ways hope.  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.