Increading dose of Evorel Conti patches

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I first posted re my doc telling me to wean off my patches. I am 65 and have been using evorel conti which i cut in half for around 6 years. Been on patches for 13 years. Over the last 7 weeks, after attempting to wean off very slowly, my flushes returned with a vengeance after only a few days, since then i have experienced aching joints and extreme fatigue snd spotting. Sincethe NICE report has come to light I have booked an appt to see my doctor. I am staying on HRT and will ask for a stronger dose. My quality of life has declined over the last few weeks. I put my full half patch back on after less than a week of feeling dreadful. Its amazing to experience such an upheavel after such a short time.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat, stick with it, after all it is your body and your life and the quality of that is the most important thing. My doctor agreed to restart my hrt in June and I Feel great again.

I am 70 now and will stay with hrt for the rest of my life hopefully. The nice report I feel may alter many doctors opinions, we can but hope!!!

• Posted

Join the club - I have restarted my 40mcg patches after trying to cut down.  I seemed to cope on 40mcg, having cut down from 80 but cutting down further (I ended up with some 25mcg ones) my night sweats restarted and I generally felt lousy.  I have also now got a frozen shoulder and suspect it may be related, though my doctor was very sceptical.  I saw the doctor a couple of days before the new guidelines came out - but had already read the draft ones.  The GP wanted to put me on anti-depressansts but I stuck to my guns and he reluctantly gave me a month's supply.  Hopefully he will be more receptive now the new guidelines have been published.

Risks have been overrated and some of the studies over the years, flawed.  The risks are small - and negligible for estrogen only, especially when used as patches.  After a few weeks on the 40mcg patches, the nights sweats have gone and I'm feelling much better in myself.  Stick with it ladies!

• Posted

I have just started evoral conti and my hot flushes have gone away. I am 44yo and started the menopause on top if loads of other medical issues and the disturbed sleep was killing me. My GP was more than happy to prescribe the HRT and I told her about the bio identical versions and she looked up best version for me. It will help with the bone density issue which is more of a risk for me than any tiny risk of cancer or anything else. So pleased I started it.
  • Posted

Hi Ladies

i am 5 weeks into BIO HRT and never thought I would need therapy. It was taking its toll on quality of life, lack of sleep hot flashes and most of all making my depression much worse. Since I have been on it I feel wonderful, 20 years younger. I am 52. All symptoms disappeared and my libido is in overdrive! I am still worried about long term use and its effect on my breasts but for now quality of life is most important. To anyone questioning doing it, I recommend it 100%.

• Posted

Hi Ladies, just to update you.. I saw another Doctor this morning and I explained my situation. she told me she is "not a fan of HRT" (good start!).. and that the incidence of all the cancers increase dramatically after you have been on it for 10 years... I replied I have done my research and read the new NICE guidelines (which she clearly has not!) I told her it is my decision and having weighed all the pro's and cons, I have decided the benefits outweigh the risks, she agreed as it is, after all, my body. The new report clearly states minimum risks now.. *sigh* .. I have now started wearing a full patch so fingers crossed please Ladies that I start to feel my old self again soon.. 
    • Posted

Hi, glad to hear you stuck to your guns, hope you continue to improve, I certainly have x
  • Posted

Hi Pat,

Don't let your doctor get you down.  I came off patches five years ago and suffered with dreadful flushes, aches and pains etc, etc afterwards!  When I went back to my doctor two months ago he said I was too old at 65.  When NICE report came out I went back with a list of my ailments and refused to leave without patches - it worked and am now back on HRT.  Am sleeping well, flushes going fast, aches and pains hugely decreased and in fact feel like a new person after just a week!  Have to return in 3 months but have no worries that he will leave me on them as I will be much less trouble then!  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Dorothy!  Sarah, that's wonderful news and after only a week, fantastic! I feel very positive now. It's really awful how so many women go through hell and their GP's are dinosaurs.. Thank you for all your support. I will let you know how I get on. 
  • Posted

Well done Pat, for sticking to your guns - your doctor may just become a fan when she reaches menopause herself!  Last time I went, I was also determined, despite my doctor's lack of enthusiasm.  He printed off a load of (now outdated) advice on HRT and on alternatives.  Next time I go, I'll go armed with my own print-outs from the latest NICE recommendations, just in case!  
    • Posted

Thank you Maria.. I had the same thought as you about her attitude to HRT when she has that journey! It's great to hear all the women here who have stood up for themselves so hats off to you ladies! 
  • Posted

I went to pick up my repeat prescription today, after the doctor had initially given me a month's supply of the 40mcg patches.  I'd requested 3 months supply as this is what I had previously been prescribed.  Instead I got just another month's worth.  When I queried, the receptionist said this was now NHS policy for most prescriptions, to not supply for more than a month.  When I asked the chemist, she denied this but said it was becomming common practice amongst GPs for financial reasons.  As I still pay for my prescriptions, it would now cost me £24.60, rather than £8.20 for the 3 months.  Has anyone else come across this?  How many month's supply are you usually prescribed?
    • Posted

Always had 3 months supply from my GP.. same yesterday, 3 months. I haven't heard anything about this policy.. I don't pay for my prescriptions though, maybe that makes a difference.. perhaps others here can shed some more light on this?
    • Posted

Hi Maria...i think it is as my doctor only gave me 8 patches which I had to pay a 8.60 prescription for it seems to be happening alot..it makes it expensive roll on 60 when I get free prescriptions ha ha btw I have found them to be good no side effects and has helped my syptoms a great deal..i def recommend them and I've tried a few hrt ..x

• Posted

Hi Jeanette, could I just ask please is it the Evorel Conti 50 you are on.  I had been on Tibolone and came off it. At the time of being given Tibolone, I was also given a prescription for Evorel Conti 50 patches and told I could switch to those if I didn't get on with Tibolone.  I have now been off Tibolone 3 months and have decided to give the patches a go as I am not sleeping well, night hot flushes and lack of libido etc (56).  I have started with half a patch as I am worried if I use a whole patch I will get side effects as I am worried the progesterone will cause tearfulness or bleeding or such like coming up to the Xmas period. Thought I would try the half for a week or two and then a whole if necessary.  Could I ask how you are getting on? Any negatives as yet or all good? Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Al, just read your post, I think it's a good idea to start on the lowest dose that suits you and helps with your problems. The whole patch for me was too much, my breasts were very sore and I knew it was too strong a dose. Half a patch suited me much better. So, try the half patch first (there may be some spotting, but it's normal and pretty light) and see how you go smile 

• Posted

Thank you Pat, that is very helpful. I will do just that and see how it goes 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.