Inguinal Hernia Surgey Testicular Complication In Progress​?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I guess I had a minor groin hernia for a since 2011, but it’s wasn’t bad enough to really be visible.  The previous year it got noticeably, visibly worse, and it was diagnosed as a hernia. I had ED 2 weeks before surgery because I had made the bulge worse yet again. Also couldn’t cough, laugh or move moderately heavy things without pain in that area. Bulge was on the left side of the groin. I had traditional non mesh, open suture hernia surgery 6.5 weeks ago, mid December. First 4 days was sever cramping, was on narcotic pain meds for 9 days, I could barely walk. After the four days I started getting fluid build-up and it would leak downwards into my scrotum and my left testy would swell, but not serious pain, just heavy and sore. Could still have an orgasm but it was different. 4.5 weeks later I have noticed what comes out during sex is a little labored, and less then what it used to be before the surgery. My first week I iced 3-5 times a day, 2nd -3rd week iced 2-3 times a day, 4-6.5 week, iced 1-2 times a day.  I would ice the inside of my left testy nearest the surgery area, and it seemed to make a difference in terms of pain and well being.  At 4.5 weeks I have some extra fluid and heaviness in my testy area but not as much as before.  At 4.5 weeks I could be able to sleep on my stomach with some discomfort in the surgery area and testis, and now I’m able to sleep on my stomach  at 6.5 weeks after the surgery I have only minor discomfort and sleeping like this only caused me minor aching in my testis.  At 6.5 weeks standing all day only gives me a little bit of grief in my testicles, with most of it being confined to the left side.  In all I get some minor dull ache in my left testy, with the right being a little more sensitive than before.  I just started wearing jeans, this makes contact with the surgery area gives me minor grief.  I have minor abdominal pain (above the incision) in a small area, when I move around, but nothing alarming.  My problem is sex related.  My ED is fixed, this works great, my penis has not shrunk everything is ok there.  My problem lies with the amount of ejaculate that comes out.  Before surgery, I would GUESS(I never measured), I would ejaculate, probably around 3.5-4ml, no crazy shooting but it would definitely come out without any problems and it would travel a bit, I never dribbled.  Now after the surgery, it has ranged from anywhere from .8 to 2.2ml, and it has a lot of trouble coming out, it’s dribbling at its best, no travelling, there is barely any force at all.  A couple of times it’ been very chunky.  I’d say what comes out is half or less than half then before, and it varies, and hasn’t really improved since the surgery, where as before the surgery this was not a problem.   At no time have I taken a step back during recovery, I haven’t lifted anything that has given me grief, I haven’t even had intercourse in case I traumatize this area, just very light stuff with the girlfriend testing things out.  I started doing cardio on my elliptical at 5 weeks recovery time and have increased the intensity taking a day off in-between workouts as I get minorly sore in the area, but nothing to worry about.

I went to the original surgeon three weeks after the surgery and he said it was healing properly. I asked if there was any problem with the spermatic cord or anything that could be problems or anything I should be concerned about, and he said no everything was fine, and it was just a hernia that was fairly large in size.  At 3.5 weeks, and then again at 6.5 weeks I went to my regular doctor, and he wanted to inspect the hernia area, and he said its feeling fine.  At 6.5 weeks I was supposed to go to my surgeon to get a final check up, but since this is now far away and I would have to pay for a hotel etc, and because I haven’t been working and have family problems and am broke, so I did not go. Instead I setup a phone consultation and I explained to him what is explained above for you all to read, and asked about the ejaculation problem.  He said it sounds like the hernia is repairing, but the problem I am worrying about should not happen, and he thinks something else happened. I explained my concern, and he quickly said sometimes the testy can shrink, sometimes there is problems with the spermatic cord, and well you still have another testicle you can still have kids!  (My testicle is not shrinking, at least not yet).  My surgeon urged me to get my local doctor to book me into see a surgeon who performs these surgeries, or a urologist to get examined.  When I went to my local doctor with this info, I asked him to get the OP report from my surgeon(in transit now) he says there is no need to worry, that I’m going to have problems and swelling in the area etc for up to three months.  I had booked in an ultrasound to inspect the hernia area at 6.5 weeks and there is no fluid build up and the hernia looks like it has healed, there is no sign of it being there.  I kept bugging him about the obvious and how even the surgeon said to go get it checked out because it’s shouldn’t be a problem but he said, no he won’t do anything until he sends me for a semen analysis test.  I phoned today to make that appointment and they are 6 weeks backlogged!!!

So guys, I’m not as bad off as some of you guys who I feel sorry for, I’ve read some pretty bad stories, So I’m not some drama queen, I’m just looking for some advice on what could be the problem and where to go from here.

-Any idea what the problem is?

- Should I just try to strengthen my pelvic floor muscles?

- Do I need to go to a new local doctor immediately to get referred to a surgeon or urologist who can do a proper analysis?  Is this a time sensitive thing where my testicle could be damaged

- I don’t want to wait 6 weeks if there is a problem that needs to be looked at now.  Can I do any exercises, do more icing, take more advil, go get a prescription for the problem?

-Is my regular doctor right that I should just wait for things to heal more before I freak out?

Thanks so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like the seminal vesicle is being compromised by scar tissue. How is urinary flow? any blood in the urine? It will be hardly noticeable, maybe only by test. However if it is not all cleared up by 6 months I would say Scar tissue is your culprit.
  • Posted

Urinary flow is good, I've never noticed any blood what so ever visually but I have not tested for it. I notice a dull ache in the region in the crease of my leg and on the left side of my testicle, something is up. It's not a strong ache but it's present.

Do you mean if the seminal vesicle is being choked by scar tissue would that cause bloood flow in the urine and therefore I should get the test done?

Is there any other test that could be done that show the vesicle is being compromised by scar tissue?

There are supplements that actually help to break down scar tissue, I'm guessing it would be a good idea to take them? Anything else I could do break down the scar tissue?

I saw a walk In clinic doctor to get referred to someone and he told me only my regular doctor can do this, and he already said he won't do anything until I get that semen test done, which is 6 weeks. I'm wondering if I have to wait, is any permanent Damage going to be done? How time sensitive is this? I'm concerned.

Thanks so much.

• Posted

There is an inguinal nerve that runs down the front there, the hernia was stitched a bit tight i would suspect and thats the testicle ache, the Urinary flow and or the seminal vescle can be strangled by scar tissue and is usually the culprit in restricted urinary flow which will produce some blood not noticeable in most cases or if it is its just a dark color or rust color. or restricted Semen flow. over 11 years I have had all of this ....But I also have mesh in me. So Since you dont have mesh I would suspect scar tissue. What state are you located in? there is nothing that removes scar tissue as far as I know except manual removal. there are NOT MANY mesh removal Drs in the USA, and those that will remove the mesh or do repairs wont touch you if the mesh was placed LAP. Because it compomises the inguinal nerves in the front there. It sounds like you are on your way to having the same symptopms as me....GAS? Bloating yet? Cant sleep for more then 5 to 6 hours and cant sleep on my stomach with out minor discomfort that turns to a lot of pain until i roll over. Scar tissue or mesh. its the only 2 things the Drs are looking at after 11 years of saying it was anything else.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your time and input, I'm so new to this and dont know.  I'm not actually located in the USA, I'm In Alberta Canada.

?I dont have extra gas or bloating, the bloating went away when i healed, the usually problems going to the bathroom immediately after surgery, but it went away after not too long.  I'm actually sleeping ok, I didnt for a while due to pain, but its not a concern now at all. 

Best wishes with your struggle, and thanks again.

?If anyone else reading this can weigh in, that would be great!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.