Initial outbreak of shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just diagnosed with shingles this week although I had the rash which I thought was a spider bite that got infected 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Pain started over the weekend upper back radiating to front ribs where rash is.  ER really dropped the ball and said it was thoracic strain (Sunday night).  Saw my Dr on Tuesday and he said, "classic shingles".  

Question:  will I develop a rash on my upper back area too?  On Acyclovir and Prednisone.  Zostrix cream turn my skin red hot and burning so quit using it per Dr. Office and my own self.  Also, once I finish Prednisone will pain return?  Right now all is pretty good but I don't want to get my hopes up.  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had shinngals in head 18months agoe and I still have itching most nights up with it now 3 o'clock in the morning wish it would go 

• Posted

Did you get another break out or is it just itching?  I've heard tea tree oil is good.  Trader Joe's sells Tea Tree tingle shampoo.

• Posted

I answered my own question because tonight I have 3 more break outs on my back!  Anyone have anything they REALLY like to put on your breakouts. sad

• Posted

Just keep dry and clean. Maybe calamine lotion would help. I found Acyclovir cold sore cream helped for small area but expensive for your back/chest. Oatmeal baths supposed to help ease itching. I'm sure others will come on with ideas. rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Pollyanna!  Dr. Did say keep dry and clean and separate towels to wash separately.  He said it should NOT blister or cause pain.  Didn't know they had Acyclovir cream - maybe not available in US... Hmmmm.  He did say maybe try the Zostrix again and see.  I'll see him Wednesday.  thanks again!

• Posted

The cream is marketed here in UK as Blistex but I buy it much cheaper under generic name which is Acyclovir cold sore cream. You might get some at the cheaper stores like our Poundland or online, ebay and Amazon. Hope you soon get some relief, it's a B*****! x rolleyes

• Posted

I use zinc oxide cream mixed with organic plain Greek yougurt. I know it sounds weird, but truly is sooo soothing and helps dry it out.
  • Posted

Hi Donna

Had the damnable things at 11 just the way you describe. Shingles travel individual nerve roots. Where they will go it determined by which nerve root(s) is involved.

Did the dic look at the red hot burning skin? Cause that is exactly what shingles does in addition to all of the wee pustules.

Go look on the internet. So, it is possible that it was the shingles and not the remedy.

kind regards

judith

have now had them five times

• Posted

Yes, he did say the Zostrix reaction could have been the shingles reacting!  He said, it is T-10 route.  With this new outbreak he said, I should not have the itching, blisters or pain.  Time will tell and I'll see him Wednesday.  Thanks for sharing!/

• Posted

So sorry to hear you have had them 5 times Judith (just saw that)!  What is the time span?  

I think that is what had me so upset... Knowing that they reoccur sad

• Posted

11 the first time on C8

maybe 42 and they took out the left half of my head and neck

61 the last time...internal on liver, gall bladder, common bile duct, pancreas

I am severely immunosuppressed

So as long as you are not on a chemo therapy GO GET THE VACCINE...and if you have shingles ask the doc how long you must wait before you can be vaccinated.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Thanks Judith!  I will be asking him on Wednesday about getting the vaccination.  How do they know you have them internally?
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

I had awful, awful pain...told doc I thought it was gall bladder...had ultrasound at hospital...came back wonky...had a cat scan...also came back wonky...it was obvious that my liver, pancreas, gall bladder and the ducts were inflamed...I was in agony...went to kinda big city and was hospitalized immediately...as I was dressing to go noticed a single wee shingle...took 2.5 weeks to be diagnosed and took 3 months to get through it...ugh!

hugs...good for you

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.