Initial outbreak of shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just diagnosed with shingles this week although I had the rash which I thought was a spider bite that got infected 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Pain started over the weekend upper back radiating to front ribs where rash is.  ER really dropped the ball and said it was thoracic strain (Sunday night).  Saw my Dr on Tuesday and he said, "classic shingles".  

Question:  will I develop a rash on my upper back area too?  On Acyclovir and Prednisone.  Zostrix cream turn my skin red hot and burning so quit using it per Dr. Office and my own self.  Also, once I finish Prednisone will pain return?  Right now all is pretty good but I don't want to get my hopes up.  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update... From Dr. Appt yesterday.  He wants me on 2 more weeks of Prednisone!!!  Told him I was soooo cranky I couldn't even stand myownself!  He lol.  Still not sleeping well at all and pain started again at 2 a.m.  I'm so tired.  Called and told his nurse this afternoon so she could tell him "No more Prednisone".  I'll finish the Acyclovir tomorrow.  He said, no, on the vaccine that it wouldn't help.  Dunno what to think or do.

• Posted

Hi Donna

My apologies...the vaccination isvforvin the future...agreed, it will not help this outbreak.

Your have these damnable shingles and they sure take their sweet time going away...wish I could speed up the process for you.

I offer my shoulder to lean on.....

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hey Judith,

Thanks for the info and shoulder... I'm awake.  My day was pretty good until evening... Went to bed in pain and now up at 2 and 3 a.m.  Dr. Put me on Gabapentin and lidocaine cream.  Might take a half of a Hydrocodone... Sitting here drinking Golden milk.  They sure come back to bite you, don't they?

• Posted

Hey Donna,

I hate the damn things...just saying...

Lidocaine cream...did he tell you not to rub it in...I suggest you civer the creamed area with plastic wrap for twenty minutes.. usually I ask for the lidocaine patches. gabapentin is Neurotin...if it is not effective enough, he may switch you to Lyrica-pregabalin which was originally used to combat diabetic nerve pain.

Chuck the Golden milk, go with ultra chocolate ice cream...soothes a miriad of probelems...

hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.