Insomnia and anxiety from ofloxacin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

has anyone suffered from chronic insomnia and anxiety from this med was prescribed it 2 years ago for a uti infection and been going through hell with my mental health ,from what I have read this stuff should be banned from being prescribed I for one would never take it again wish I had read the patient information leaflet better the list off side effects are horrendous stay well clear off it

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm surprised that you have not had replies as it is a common problem associated with the drugs and there have been many others with this problem.

• Posted

Hi, I have just joined this forum and it's a relief to know that other people have experienced what I am currently going through. It is only six weeks since I finished a five-day course of a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, also for a U.T.I. I can say a definite 'Yes' to chronic insomnia and anxiety, along with many, many other so called 'side effects'. I totally agree this is a horrible drug and I too wish I had researched it properly before taking it. I suffered from severe chronic pain before taking it, but I had nothing wrong with my legs, knees, ankles, tendons, hips etc. Well, I do now! I can no longer walk properly and need a stick. I am 71 years old . . .and I think it was utterly wrong of my GP practice to prescribe this. 'Use with caution with patients over 65 years of age', I believe it says. The GP who prescribed it did so over the phone. He is not my usual GP. My eyesight has also deteriorated to the extent that I need surgery. Of course the doctors are suggesting that all the 'side effects' are part of the ageing process, and 'very unlikely' to be a consequence of the drug. Warning to others . . .never take a fluoroquinolone antibiotic! It has ruined my life.

• Posted

Hi Andrew and Jennifer,

Other affected people have been trying to raise awareness about the fluoroquinolone class of antibiotics for several years. The European Medicines Agency did hold a 2 year review into the serious, long lasting and possibly irreversible side effects which ended in October 2018 and new warnings and updates to the leaflets were issued in March 2019.

Unfortunately the EMA didn't go far enough with their warnings to make doctors take them very seriously. They also said that the serious side effects are "very rare" - which, as I know and I expect you've been thinking, isn't true. If you've looked at the other posts under this heading you'll see that there are many from people saying how their lives have been ruined just because they trusted their doctor.

What the doctors never appreciate is that it's not like an allergy, it's not a case of it either affects you or it doesn't, what actually happens is it affects everyone to a degree. What that degree is will depend on many factors such as age (Jennifer), lifestyle, any genetic deficiencies and exposure to environmental and pharmaceutical toxins. What this means in reality is that some people can take many courses before they notice side effects while others are hit hard by just one tablet.

There is a link to a UK support group in Derek's post here. The group has a website and offers advice that may help - although insomnia and anxiety for two years is very tough going. You're not alone, Andrew, others are going through this with you and maybe they have found something that has been helpful.

I'll report back if I find anything, meanwhile please do click on the link in Derek's post and perhaps take a look at the UK website.

I quite agree - the fluorquinolones should at least be restricted to hospital use only and then only as drugs of last resort. For GPs just to blithely hand out this stuff for a UTI is actually not allowed any more (I know this is of no help to you now) but they can still prescribe it far too easily. The official wording is "if the usual antibiotic is found to be inappropriate" for some reason.

• Posted

Quite agree with you, Andrew. I've experienced anxiety and panic attacks since taking Levoflxacin, but I have to say that is the least of it. Insomnia, when I was already in severe chronic pain from a spine injury years ago, makes nights hellish. Ironically, when I atteneded a pain-clinic a couple of years ago, it was actually suggested that 'anxiety' was the cause of all the pain I was in. I too think these drugs should be banned . . .and doctors educated about the not-so-rare 'side-effects'.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.