Irreducible, Painful Indirect Inguinal Hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I developed a large lump in August & a scan revealed that there was a large irreducible & painful indirect inguinal hernia which contained bowel. The hernia sac extended down to the scrotum with a cross-sectional diameter of at least 4cm. The Radiologist recommended immediate clinic referral with a view to surgery.

The problem was that I was that I had a holiday abroad booked the following week, his advice was that it would be unwise to travel.

I was referred back to my GP who sent me back to the hospital the next day & again his advice was not to travel. I saw three Doctors at the hospital in the space of four days and all of them agreed that I needed an urgent but not emergency operation and they all advised me not to travel. However what they couldn't decide on was when the op was to take place. I was still in considerable pain so took the decision to have the op at the local private hospital.

The holiday was cancelled & the insurance company settled my claim and as a result I made a complaint to the hospital about the service that I had received; I hasten to add that I am not asking for compensation from the hospital but an apology for the service. I should also point out that the Consultant General Surgeon has said that they would not have advised me to cancel the holiday as there was no clinical reason to do so.

So should I have cancelled or not?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Once you received the advice not to travel you could not then travel without invalidating your insurance. That pretty much closes down the issue.

Since the insurer paid out on your cancellation and you say you are not seeking the excess from the doctors who told you not to travel (and I doubt such a claim would succeed anyhow) that pretty much seems to be an end to it.

If you mean that after you were told not to travel the NHS should have got a move on and pushed you up the lists, I doubt you will have much joy with that argument either. The most you can conclude is that it is difficult with these things to say whether it is safe to travel, and informed opinion varies. The good news is that you got your operation and you are well. Many people on these boards would happily pay to put their conditions behind them if only they could afford it. Mabe it is time to look on the brightside, count the blessings, that sort of thing. 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice.

The reason for the private op was because there was no guarantee that the hospital would carry out the op unless it became strangulated and I wasn't prepared to take that risk. When I saw the Consultant at the private hospital he was 'amazed, that the hospital hadn't carried out the op as an emergency especially when the hernia couldn't be pushed back in.

Again thanks for your thoughts.

• Posted

On the last point. eek. I would have done the same as you. How worrying and how depressing that our NHS is now such a lottery. I hear all the time about the casual way peoples' conditions and their pain is treated by no doubt overworked (and they think) underpaid personnel. I am pleased it all went well for you in the end. I do wonder whether the plot is to drive as many people as possible who can pay, to choose to pay, a bit like the horrors of the dental world.
    • Posted

I have to agree with you on your last sentence although being a tax payer I don't see why I should have to find the cash to pay for an op. The word from the inside is that the hospital cancel hernia ops and only perform them at the last minute, as I said before. Still it's been done and I'm ok now thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.