IS EDEMA A SIDE EFFECT OF ANGINA?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm Ricardo and I'm a student at the Universidad del Valle de México and I'm studying medicine. I would like to know if edema is a side effect of angina and also because that edema appears.

I read an article about that but I did not understand, I would like someone to help me, please. it's for a homework.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi Ricardo,

Edema usually occurs as a sign of a heart problem such as heart failure or dysfunction. Edema is not a side effect of angina, nor is it a symptom of angina. Edema can however develop as a side effect of certain angina medications such as calcium channel blockers.

It is important to distinguish the difference between a symptom, a sign and a side effect;

A symptom is any subjective evidence of disease. Anxiety, angina, back pain, and fatigue are all symptoms; only the patient can perceive them.

Swelling (edema) is a sign; it is apparent to the patient, physician, and others. It can be seen.

A side effect is an effect, whether therapeutic or adverse, that is secondary to the one intended; although the term is predominantly employed to describe adverse effects, it can also apply to beneficial, but unintended, consequences of the use of a drug.

There are different types of edema. As mentioned edema can be a symptom of heart failure or dysfunction. When your heart doesn't work as well, blood flow slows and backs up in the veins. Eventually this causes fluid to build up in your tissues. You may have swelling in your stomach or notice some weight gain, you may have swelling in your legs, feet or ankles. One can also experience pulmonary edema due to a heart problem thus causing breathing difficulty.

Angina presents as pain and occurs due to a temporary lack of oxygen to the heart muscle, a symptom of partially blocked arteries or spasms of the arteries (as opposed to a heart attack which is a complete blockage of an artery). Edema would not appear during an angina attack as they are brief, a temporary dysfunction.

I am not a doctor but from my own experiences and understanding gained from trying to understand my own problems this is the best answer I can provide! Good luck with the homework!

• Posted

thanks a lot I really appreciate it. this will serve me for my homework

• Posted

Could this be related to primary lipo-lymphoedema as it is progressing fast in me with heart failure as a result of ignoring the fact you need to keep urosepsis under control by microscopy .Pulmonary hypertension was found on implanting a Reveal Device that hads died a death not giving reports & I am left abadonned with GPs who haven't a clue or regard for history ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.