Is Estrogen Replacement Therapy necessary for managing menopausal symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is Estrogen Replacement Therapy necessary for managing menopausal symptoms?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Estrogen Replacement Therapy can be effective for managing menopausal symptoms, but it's not necessary for everyone.

• Posted

Estrogen Replacement Therapy (ERT) is a common and effective option for managing menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and vaginal dryness. ERT replaces declining estrogen levels during menopause, alleviating discomfort and improving quality of life. However, it is not mandatory for all women, and the decision should be individualized based on factors like health risks and personal preferences. Consultation with a healthcare provider is crucial to weigh the benefits and risks, considering factors like age, overall health, and medical history, to determine the appropriateness of ERT for managing menopausal symptoms.

• Posted

As others have said no not always necessary, but would advise you to be vigilant for warning signs that your oestrogen is depleting. I was on replacement patches for 10 years and felt great. Sadly my GP took me off and being totally unaware of what was going to happen next I suffered a horrendous prolonged menopause. I wasn't aware how important this hormone was and I now have a weakened pelvic floor, despite exercise, which has lead to a prolapse and, most distressing of all, a terrible condition called vaginal atrophy, which has totally ruined my life (google the symptoms). This crept on over a few years but wasn't picked up by my GP, although I was trying to get some answers. So would just advise you to be aware of your body and any changes. Because there's very little help or empathy for these conditions once you have them and they are preventable

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.