Is there a time limit before you can gave a bath

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 10 weeks post opp this Wednesday, Have Shower every day, but really miss having a nice relaxing bath. Don't know if it is fear or not that if I try and get in bath I won't be able to get out.

Has anyone else felt like this x

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told you couldnt have a bath until your eound is completely healed as you cant submerge it but obviously could shower as the water just runs of it. If you have been cleared by hospital to start normal life again i should think you could by now.

Although im in no way of saying if you should or shouldnt. Only you can know that. Plus im only 3 weeks and havent even been able to shower. Having to travel 36 miles to my aunties tomorrow just to have one haha (and obviously visit her hahaha) although at this stage i cant even immagine me ever getting back into a bath haha. Best of luck xx

• Posted

Once I'm down there .... Getting up is very difficult and usually very inelegant ..... 😂
    • Posted

My surgeon said 3 months due to risk of dislocation trying to get out. Maybe ok if you have someone to help you? I haven't risked it yet at 9 weeks. Had a swim yesterday though which was fab!
    • Posted

I haven't screwed up the courage to get in for fear of not being able to get out - I broke my arm fairly badly in the past and don't have much strength or bending function left in the wrist. And my knee is still quite stiff from post- op strains. Our tub is extra deep with jets so I would love a good soak. I feel more than a little stupid about this - rather like a beached whale.

L

• Posted

I'm pretty sure my surgeon said not to submerge for 30-60 days.
  • Posted

I thought it was about 12 weeks, I'm 10 weeks,don't even know if I can go in ours, it's only half the length of a normal bath, so got to sit with knees up.  I'll ask my doc on Tuesday.

Definitley would try the first time to have someone there incase you get stuck. I got stuck when I had my knee done lol and had to wait for hubby coming home, no hot water to top up with either lol

• Posted

I am a embed weeks away from bath at six weeks and I am already worried about getting in and not being able to get out . When your doctor says it's ok be sure your not home alone when you try it! I am also worried about getting in and out of my waterbed when doctor says it's ok sane thing I might get in and can't get out lol let me know how you make out hun
  • Posted

Hi there

I had bath at 10 weeks post op. It was so nice☺x

• Posted

That's me 10 weeks this wed, did you have any trouble getting in and out, that's what I'm dreading xx
    • Posted

That would be my biggest concern as well. If you have someone to help, it would probably make a big difference
    • Posted

No I didn't have help. Just took it nice and steady x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 7 weeks post op and had my first bath this evening, it was bliss. razzMy partner was on hand to make sure I could get in and out safely. (I have had no guidance about not having a bath and thought it was just up to the individual and as long as there are no problems with the wound?)
  • Posted

Mabe soaking is out of the question at this point. Remember the bone is still growing around the implant and takes time to stabalize. 

Mabe try what I did, place a bath chair in the tub. Fill with water as high as possible. At least this way ya get a nice foot soak and lower legs.

The dr schedule in the care pkg sent home explains many of these questions. Just take is slowly ask the therapist to show you how to get in & out of the tub safely or ask for a print out from the Physio. 

You could  try getting up and down from the floor first to strengthen the muscles when it's ok  for you to bend & bathe in the tub. Also be sure to have suction handles on the sides to hold onto to get in and out.

I'm sure you will find your way when your ready! 

Good Luck...confused

• Posted

University College London Hospitals states you can have a bath after six weeks proving your restrictions have been lifted. Hope this helps answer your query.
  • Posted

I'm five months post-op and only had my first post-op bath a few weeks ago when staying at a hotel. It was a small tub with a non-slip surface and had grab bars, so I felt okay about it. My home tub is large and is not a non-slip, so I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I like my baths hot, with lots of bubbles, which means the tub gets slippery and I do get a bit light-headed from the heat (the glass of red I usually take with me doesn't help in that department). 

Having confessed that, I would think you are okay as long as your scar is healed, you have a sturdy means with which to lift yourself out and a non-slip mat outside the tub to get your bearings on... maybe forgo bubbles until you are confident.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.