Is there a time limit before you can gave a bath

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 10 weeks post opp this Wednesday, Have Shower every day, but really miss having a nice relaxing bath. Don't know if it is fear or not that if I try and get in bath I won't be able to get out.

Has anyone else felt like this x

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey

By 10 weeks my wound was completley healed up and l was having baths. I have been having baths for the past 4 to 5 weeks. And l am 9 weeks post op today. I think as soon as your wound is completley healed and sealed up you are fine to have a bath. I have had both hips done and was having baths l am sure 3 to 4 weeks after op both times.

Hope this helps

Laura

• Posted

My surgeon said i could after 6 weeks restrictions listed. Im lucky as we are in a new house and havent remoddelled the bathroom yet - the previous occupant was an elderly lady who left grab rails everywhere , two alongside the bath and two at the end of the near the shower . I was still scared so waited till yesterday , 8 weeks post op, and when my other half was in . I had a lovely bubble bath and a glass of prosecco in it ! I amazed both us us by getting in - and out- all by myself , but yes the grab rails sure helped ! It was lovely . And yes I,ll be leaving those rails in place for  the next year . I would say i tend to sit in the bath while the water is running / filling and had to shout other half to turn the hot tap off as incouldnt reach it so be warned 😀
  • Posted

I was told 3 months. In fact I got so used to just showering that I've only just had my first post op bath at 7 months after a hard day's gardening. It was bliss....
  • Posted

Hi Nell,

Greetings. The curious thing about this place is we all have different experiences and even advice.

So...in Exeter I was told if I'm pretty fit pretty open then a bath after six, with my wife present to wash my back and in case I needed a hand out was fine.

This I did and was blissful

Mic.x

• Posted

PS...that is six weeks...mine was 6weeks and one hour post op! Mx
  • Posted

Mine was after the stitches came out - 14 days. But I showered; because I prefer to shower
    • Posted

If at all possible, check with your surgeon or nurse.  I know mine said that showering was fine even before the staples were removed but not to submerge the incision before 30-60 days after the surgery because the risk of infection is still too great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.