is this gallstones? what should i do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had this happen to me maybe 4-5 times within the last year. I've been having this pain in my stomach on and off. It's in my upper stomach to the right, under my rib cage. It seems like it happens a lot after eating too much greasey food. It sometimes lasts for days and is on and off. It's not severe pain, maybe like 2/10. If causes a minor annoyance when I mover or press on my stomach in certain areas. I always get gassy during this time through both ends which relieves it. I'm a male in my 30s about 120 lbs. I've always been underweight, I've never had a normal appetite. I'm a very picky eater but have eaten a lot of high sugar, fat, and sodium foods over the years. I've done some reading and to me it seems like it could be gallstones. I'm hoping it's just simple indigestion. Calcium carbonate does not help. I'm ready to completely change my diet as much as I hate cooking. Don't think I could go the vegetarian route but going to cut out greasey foods. A couple days ago I had a Stouffer's family size lasagna all to myself. I been having on/off pain ever since just like before. I'm scared it could be my gall bladder. I go to the Drs twice a year but don't have insurance so don't like to go except for my regular checkups. I also get a lot of anxiety from it which I have a history of along with depression. I take meds but they only help to an extent. I'm hoping it's just some kind of indigestion but being on the right side more scares me a lot. I didn't ask my Dr about it last appt because it went away so I thought it was just indigestion and didn't really think of it. Also had a question, when you get pain from gall stones can it go away on it's own or will it stay there until you get them removed. Is it true they can sometimes dissolve on their own over time? I have a really bad needle phobia and am deathly afraid of having surgery. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor for an ultrasound of your gallbladder and HIDA scan.  Some people pass their gallstones but sometimes they have to be removed.  Definitely cut out fatty, processed foods and try and cook from fresh.
  • Posted

Go to your doctors and see. It does sound like gallstones but don't worry. Having my gallbladder out was the best thing I have ever done. Most people have gallstones, it just depends on size and if they cause the gallbladder issues. Fatty food will make it worse.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've been pain free all day. I was getting worried since it was going on for a few days. I think I will be fine for now as long as I don't binge again on something full of fat, grease, and salt. I'm still going to bring it up to my Dr next appt. No more greasey foods for me except in moderation. Also going to try cutting out high fructose corn syrup. It's kind of hard for me to eat healthy and keep my calorie count up. Everytime I go shopping all I see is food that is unhealthy. 

• Posted

I just seen this from 5 years ago. Wanted to give an update. Straight up changed my diet. I rarely eat fast food or much that is deep fried. Just once in a while. I also started drinking more water. My weight has even went up to 135 lbs. Would love to get it higher but I will take it over 120. I also try to stay away from processed foods. I do still have a lot of junk on occasion like candy bars or ice cream. That stuff doesn't seem to give me any problems. Once in a blue moon I will get that pain I mentioned on my original post. Usually after eating something real fatty or deep friend and greasy. It's nice how I feel so much better since making these changes. I still honestly think it's my gall bladder but it is at a point where it is manageable. Maybe sometime if it acts up a little again I'll get a ultrasound just to help get a proper official diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.