Just been prescribed bisoprolol

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone im just wondering if anyone can help? ive been having palpitations now for 5 months and my dr has prescribed bisoprolol while im waiting for the results of a 7 day ecg. im scared to take it from reading about side effects and I don't really want to take it if i don't really need to.

Could anyone give any advice on their experience with bisoprolol id be very grateful.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello sarah ,

I'll try to share my experience hoping it'll help you .

im 26 no chronic illnesses nor heart disease nor blood pressure problems.

almost a month ago i started having palpitations what i believed were just cuz of tiredness, but noticed they're pretty persistent, was having them first at night preventing me from falling asleep and then started having them during the whole day , after couple of days i went to see a cardiologist and after performing the ecg and a echocardiogram he diagnosed me with pvcs ( premature ventricular contractions) and he said they benign and prescribed me bisoprolol 5mg for 10 days .

i had to wait almost 5 days to finally have the courage to take it as i was also scared of the side effects but since my pvcs were getting bothersome i had to eventually take it .

i was taking half a pill ( 2.5mg) in the morning and (2.5mg) in the evening.

the first 2.5mg i took 1hr after made me feel so sleepy and drowsy i couldn't really do much so i laid down for like an hour nd rested no stress no worries just rested and then i was able to continue my day .

after 10 day period was over i stopped it nd noticed my pvcs r still bad so contacted my dr and he said to take it for another 15 days now im on the 7th day , and will see what happens .

there's no major symptoms except feeling low on energy at some points .

on a side note i realized my pvcs/ palpitations increase when i have heavy meals and so many people confirmed the same thing.

i hope this was helpful. wish you get better.

• Edited

Everybody reacts differently to medications. I had a very bad reaction to bisoprolol after just one month and had to stop taking it. The withdrawal can also be a big problem for some. After 2.5 months I'm still feeling it's after effects.

My advice is to be very aware of your body's reaction to it and speak with your doctor immediately something doesn't feel right. You may be perfectly ok on this medication, like most others.

• Posted

hello @helen51670 , I'm trying to stop taking biso this week and I've been reading so many scary experiences from people on forums and i really donno what to do , ive been taking 5mg daily for 16 days my dr said reduce to 2.5mg for another week and stop cold Turkey.

i really wonder if that's a good idea , im currently not experiencing many effects except being low on energy.

did you stop it directly or you had to wean off gradually! also what kind of side effects you experienced. i would really appreciate your help .

• Edited

I was on 2.5mg for only 27 days and because I was experiencing unexplainable severe abdominal pain, nausea, violent shaking and arrhythmia, and very loud pounding heartbeat never having had any of this before I started on bisoprolol, I was advised to cease taking it cold turkey. it was obviously not doing me any good. I then went through withdrawal of extremely high adrenalin rushes and the anxiety which goes with it. The first two weeks were really intense and since then I have had several long episodes of constantly high adrenalin and anxiety.

if you haven't had too many problems on the drug, then I suspect you won't coming off it but everyone is different.

I would follow your doctor's advice but if you find you're suffering too much, take a reduced dose again to help your body adjust for a short while. The longer you stay on it the more long term effects it will have. good luck.

• Posted

thank you so much for your advice , i already 1/2 the the dose yesterday im gonna go on it for 4 days nd then the last 3 days on 1/4 and hope it wont give me hell . all i know is that im no way going to exceed another week.

would you mind telling me what you initially took it for !.

i was prescribed biso for sudden PVCs ( irregular heartbeats)

• Edited

I was prescribed it for high blood pressure. with all the side effects I experienced, it only increased it. this was the third different medication to be given a go as I'd had intolerable side effects from the previous two. I've decided not to go on any further medications. they may extend my life, but at a cost of feeling awful for the rest of my life. There were many days on the meds when I wished I were dead already.

• Edited

i totally agree , I'd rather enjoy the few days i have left in life feeling human at least than living in hell with medication that could shorten my life regardless.

i wish you a long healthy life helen and I'd suggest you go the natural way for hbp like taking magnesium and having a good diet free of caffeine/ alcohol/ sugar , focus on meditation and stay away from all stressful situations the best you can .

as our bodies are a very smart machine that can resolve its own problems if we give it the peaceful healthy environment it needs . sending love

• Edited

Precisely my thoughts too. Go out with a bang, not a whimper. My family have the same philosophy and are prepared. Good health to you for the future.

• Posted

Thank you Helen and Ruhan for your replies. I took the biso for 2 days and had to stop the side effects was horrendous I could barely function. I am now waiting for an app with GP to see where I go from here I'm really hesitant to start another beta blocker if I don't actually need them I'm waiting for 7 day ecg results at the moment, I've been reading your other comments to each other about weaning off i hope that is going well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.