just diagnosed

Posted , 14 users are following.

Husband just diagnosed with prostate cancer feel numb and hurt. Has psa 16 and Gleason score 7. Gotta av bone scan see if spread, and then decide whether av removed or radiotherapy. He is only 58. Feelsick to tthe bone. Anyone have any hope or good stories.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Annette,don't despair just yet,I know how you feel my hubby was diagnosed with a gleeson score of 7 in April,like you to start with we were devastated.   Then we started to think positive and get as much information as possible before making a decision .

We went for Hormone treatment and Radiotherapy,he finished that about 4wks ago,and to be honest he sailed through it.  The Hormone injections though give him a few hot sweats but not to bad.  We're now just waiting for an appointment with his Oncologist.

The best advise I could offer is think positive,and read up on as much information as you can.  Also join the Macmillan forum,they are a great help,you can also give them a ring and they will answer any questions you have.   Just keep learning.  Good luck to you both.

• Posted

Hi Annette

​Wait for the bone scan, and see what Multi Dicipline Team suggest.

I was diagnosed in 2013 - Gleason 7, PSA 6, Staging T3b.

Went the Radio Therapy route. Now 2 years later PSA remains at <0.1

​keep positive, lots of prostate cancer survivors on this site. ​keep="" positive,="" lots="" of="" prostate="" cancer="" survivors="" on="" this="">

​keep positive, lots of prostate cancer survivors on this site.>

• Posted

Hi annette

sorry to hear your husband is going through this. I am 18 months post operative following the removal of my prostate. I too had a Gleason of 7 but a psa of 4.5. I was 57 when this all started so similar age.

the positives is this is a well trodden road and therefore you will be in good hands. Things are still pretty new so you need to fully understand your options and do what is best for you

I am all clear after 18 months with no sgnificant side effects. 

The important thing is you explore fully your options as there are various different treatments you will have open to you. This is a slow growing cancer so you have time to look into it fully.

if you  have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.

all the best mike

• Posted

Mike, wow what a head trip. I started walking in your shoes in late October. Surgery is Jan 25th. Scared .. Well as aprehensive as a 58 year old can be while maintaining the air of ( in control ). Your note here does help a lot. Some days I want to punch walls and others ... a self indulging pity my ass day. Wife is great .. Handling with all the support I could ask for. Issue is that right now I don't know of any needed support. I'm just living it day to day only to think about it due to lingering pain from the biopsy. I would think that in four weeks that would be over. Crap if this sux what will post op be.... Wish I was sailing... I'll stop babbling now.

Thanx again,

Don

• Posted

Annette, I'm 63, psa 6.3, gleason score 7, had my Prostate removed and Lymph Nodes removed July 30th. I found the scariest part of this whole thing was the first 30 days because I really didn't know anything. Once all the test were run and I sat down with my doctors did I feel ok. Now for some hope...I live in Houston and we have a hospital here called md Anderson. It specializes in cancer. The director gave a speech about 6 months ago and talked about how far research has come in Prostate cancer. He said if a man is going to get cancer then prostate cancer is it. Odds are very very high that myself and your husband will die of a heart attack or stroke. Not PC. Pat
  • Posted

I meant 3+4, or 4+3?
    • Posted

I'm really lost wot is the difference is my hubby worst than if ad +.
    • Posted

What Patrick said,We were told the same,it is slow growing,and my hubby's oncologist,told us nearly all men have Postrate cancer when they die,BUT they usually die of some other disease Heart Attack,Stroke,ect ect.

please don't worry to much just get as much information as possible before you make the decision of which option your going to take.

Information and Positivity are two key words.

Information,and Positivity two key words.

• Posted

3 indicates a very slow growing cancer, 4 is bit more aggressive . The first number in the total score means that is the majority type of cancer in the sample.so 3+4 would mean predominantly slow growing, whereas, 4+3 would indicate predominantly more aggressive.
  • Posted

Hi Annette. 

All is not bad. I was diagnosed in May with a PSA of 27 and a gleasin score of 4+5 (9) Biopsy showed 100% infected in all 20 samples.

AS mines spread (only by millimeters) I'm on monthly Hormone treatment to reduce size of prostate, which is working. (well apart from sore bigger breasts and hot sweats) My oncologist said now you know how women feel! Oh and it makes you very emotional (for gods sake, dont let him watch 'Love Actually'!!)

The trick is to treat it with the contempt it deserves..I've called mine 'Conrad'! Still working 5-6 days a week at my own business.

At my 3 monthly check up, senior doc said as long as I keep responding well to the treatment 'Ive got years'

As long as things go well , its not that scarey, more inconvienient than anything else. 

Chin up and be strong. 

• Posted

Thanx for reply, he has had excruciating back pain for over a year so I'm worried it has started making way into bones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.