just diagnosed

Posted , 14 users are following.

Husband just diagnosed with prostate cancer feel numb and hurt. Has psa 16 and Gleason score 7. Gotta av bone scan see if spread, and then decide whether av removed or radiotherapy. He is only 58. Feelsick to tthe bone. Anyone have any hope or good stories.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, my other half diagnosed last year age 57. Gleason 6 psa 4.9 no symptoms. Found in a general well man test. He had brachytherapy. He was never offered a bone scan so we have to take their word that it hasn't spread, he too has a very bad back, to the point where he is moaning all through the night. He has had x rays and they said his spine is wearing away. He works hard, he's a farmer. So we have to hope that's all it is. Well, not all because he doesn't want a worn spine, but it is better than cancer in the bones.

As for your husband, wait for all tests then get as much info as you can before choosing treatment. Please don't be pushed for a treatment you don't want. Good luck.

• Posted

I am going to piggy back Annette's question. I hope that is okay, I am not quite sure how this board works. smile The doctor has been watching my brother PSA for a year now. It was a 6.3 a year ago, 8.7 six months ago, and 11.3 yesterday. He refuses to go to a urologist. I keep finding information about prostrate cancer with treatment, but what happens if he continues to refuse to even be tested for cancer? I keep reading that it is a slow growing cancer, but is that even without treatment? I just do not know what to expect. I have read down this post about a Gleason test and he has not had that. Any information would be greatly appreciated. He is 70 years old and in good health otherwise. Thank you!
    • Posted

Hi Denise

It is imperative that your brother goes to see an Urologist. With increasing PSA, normally the Urologist would first check the prostate by DRI. Following this, the Urologist may require further tests. The sooner the better, although Prostate Cancer is slow growing, treatment at an early stage is imperative.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I'm most likely re-iterating some prvious answers, however...

Hubby MUST get tested. I waited (& waited), prevaracated etc and it did me no good what so ever. A rising PSA is'nt necessarily the most reliable indicator but  never the less, ask for a biopsy, that way you'll both know one way or the other.

There lots of people on here who live a full life with prostate cancer, (supposedly theres up to 100,000 men out there wuth it hwo will never know they've got it)!

Its not that scarey, but get tested...period!

• Posted

Hi denise,My hubby was diagnosed in April,that came from a rising PSA ,as which someone has said is not that reliable,he then seen an oncologist who then gave him a MRI scan,and a biopsy,as to which they took what they took 12cores,he said he never felt a thing,but 3of the cores were cancerous. Now up until this My hubby has had no other illness he's 73yrs old he walks everyday he's a really fit fellow for his age.

Now he went down the Hormone and radiotherapy treatment which he has sailed through.

My suggestion to you is for your brother to see a oncologist,listen to his options ,he only has to listen he can then go away and find out as much information as you both can,before coming to a decision. It is slow growing so he can just take his time with his decision .

• Posted

Denise, prostate cancer is not always slow growing. You will read us talkink of Gleason score, this is how aggressive the cancer is. a 6 is a slow growing cancer, 10 is the highest which is a fast growing aggressive type. I think older men do tend to get the slower growing one, but definitely not always. His psa is raising fairly fast which may show a faster growing cancer. Please get him checked out.
    • Posted

Hi Denise,

I am sorry to hear about your brother.  His refusal to go to a urologist may or may not be a good move.  I would suggest that you find on the internet the US Preventative Services Task Force Recommendations on Prostate Cancer and read it in its entirety.  I am also 70 years old, have had cancer for approximately 20 years, diagnosed 10 years and have chosen no treatment.  I personally believe that I am one of the lucky ones for having read what I've read.  My Best to You,  Carl

• Posted

I had a PSA of 35 and after biopsy Gleason 9 tumour in Dec 2010 aged 64.  Dec 2010 had surgical prostectomy dec 2011 radiotherapy and 2 years Zoladex hormone treatment.  PSA since Jan 2012 has been zero.

Be really positive and listen to your medical team.

Look forward to the future together.

Best wishes

Ken W

• Posted

Hi Annette,Do let us know how your husband is getting on.

Hope everything is well with you.

• Posted

If you look up Gleason Scale on Google images it will pull up examples ranging from Grade 1 well differentiated prostate cells to Grade 5 undifferentiated prostate cells.  Grades 1 and 2 are essentially normal prostate cells.  Grade 3 is considered non-aggressive.  Grade 4 is intermediate (somewhere between non-aggressive and aggressive) and Grade 5 is considered aggressive.  The pathologist gives two numbers from a biopsy.  The first number is the grade of most tissue in the biopsy and the second number is the grade of a smaller amount of the tissue.  I have never heard of anyone receiving either a grade 1 or grade 2 (since that would be a finding of no adenocarcinoma or cancer).  That means that the best you can get on a biopsy that found cancer is 3 + 3 or 6.  It is considered non-aggressive and generally warrants watchful waiting.  3 + 4 is the next level of involvment and 4 + 3 because it represents more somewhat undifferentiated in a bit more involved.  Both add up to 7 and neither is considered aggressive, but rather is seen as intermediate, again warranting watchful waiting unless there are other signs of aggressiveness.  Anything above a 7 is cause for more concern.  With all that said, a recent study in Japan and, I think, New Zealand that autopsied men who had died of other causes found that many had prostate cancer and that the cancer ranged all the way up the Gleason scale, suggesting that many people have Gleason 8, 9, and 10 cancers and die of something else......calling Gleason score into some question as a potent predictor of aggressiveness.  It is a predictor, not a very reliable one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.