Just had hydrocele surgery, looking for help with recovery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys,

its been about a week since ive had the procedure to remove my right-side hydrocele and was just looking for some advice. The stitches and wound look to be healing at a decent rate, with the bruising seeming to be going away day on day.

However, the testicle I had the operation on is nearly the same size as it was with the hydrocele and quite high up. My question was ,is this level of swelling normal and if so how long should it take to go down? This is my first hospital procedure and unsure of what is to be expected etc .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Ugh sorry, these procedures are horribly unreliable and unpredictable. Does it look and feel like it's a bubble or fluid swelling? If so it could be another HC and it's complicated moving forward, or less common hematoma but this usually goes away after few months. Hoping it's just scrotum skin swelling and hardening, that's normal and yes, it can be as big as pre op. If it's growing over time it's probably another HC and one can develop right after surgery, happened to me, twice:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hydrocelectomy-with-multiple-recurrent-hydroceles-804289

After second surgery I got recurrence the next day, pushed my testicle up and now it's adhered to my scrotum skin in front.

If it's not improving after two weeks, insist on getting ultrasound after one month to manage/plan ahead and see what's inside as it can get worse. Don't accept 'wait 6 months and see what happens'

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply!

im not sure if its more fluid, cant feel a bubble or anything like that. Just concerned and not sure of its something to contact the doctor about or just wait until my follow up in 3 weeks. Its just the size which is concerning me. Really hoping that its not the complications youve described as , like many have said on other forums, wasnt really aware of the procedure being as major as it is. going to email the doctor today and see what he says.

thanks again for the reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.