Kidney stone

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi. I've been receiving good advice on this forum. but nice to broaden it out too. i have a 4 mm kidney stone located close to kidney ureter. i have pain meds for it but it hasnt started yet. my problem is to know when it's going to start and how painful it could really be. I'm drinking 3 litres of water per day. i had a ct scan on November 20th and the stone was that size then. hope it hasnt got any bigger. trace of blood was found in urine 6 months ago. maybe this is the reason. cheers Kevin..

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have chronic kidney stones heres my advice for you, water water water, when that stone drops to your bladder you will start to feel alot more uncomfortable thats when i like to drink beer and im not much of a drinking guy but the beer helps you pee alot, lemonade is something else i drink because of the high citric acid, as far as pain its going to get worse hopefully they put you on flomax to open the tube. blood is normal along with strong urine odor, if urination becomes uncomfortable i go with over the counter product called azo. hang in there my friend 4mm is easy to pass when you start getting past 7-8 mm is when things start to get real rough. if you have any specific questions ask away ive passed more than 25 stones started when i was 19 now im 28 and just got bad luck of the draw when it comes to stones.

• Posted

hi chris and thanks for your answer. ive no pain as yet. don't think its passing.just wondering how long i have the stone. and will it get bigger. also it was noted in a ct scan on November 20th last. worried it might have gotten bigger. i have pain meds 20 buscopan 10 mg plus 30 tylex caps 30 mg/500 mg( codeine phos/ paracetamol. hope they'll help. cheers Kevin.

• Posted

Have you seen a urologist? These are the people who know what they are doing with this.

What advice have you been given already? Are you likely to pass this stone?

Don't be messed about. I had kidney stones all year in 2017 and saw several urologists before one of them finally agreed to operate.

I had several urine infections and blood in urine it was horrible.

I feel for you as I know what the pain is like.

Sort this out sooner rather than later.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

hi sarah. thanks for your reply. I've no pain yet as its not passing. i have painkillers for it which may help. also anti spasm medication. they say it might just stay in kidney for now but i will be looking for another scan after xmas. thanks again for your concern. cheers Kevin......

• Posted

hi again. i was advised to drink a lot of water

• Posted

hi sarah. just wondering how long does it take for kidney stone to pass through ureter. I'm getting some feeling of pressure at right kidney where stone is. its like a spasm but no pain as yet. cheers Kevin...

• Posted

No idea sorry. My stones were too big to pass so had to be removed surgically.

• Posted

hi sarah. is it ok to drink apple cider vinegar to soften stone. cheers Kevin.

• Posted

I have not tried it myself but quite a few people say it helps.

Sarah

• Posted

hi Sarah.

i was admitted into hospital last july with a UTI,bordering on sepsis.

i had a scan to be told i have gall stones & 3 kidney stones in my left kidney.

Far too big to pass ( 9mm,8mm & 7mm)

i finally saw s dietician 6 months after but by that time i had researched all the dietary information my self.

My appointment with the urologist was ment to be for 8th February,but it has been cancelled again.

This is the 3rd time i havent spoken to anyone or had any help with dealing with all of this.

it has affected my mental health with my anxiety through the roof.

i had an awful christmas with lower back pain,groin pain etc.

No one will speak to me i leave messages for the consultants secretary.

No response & all i received was a letter saying yet again my appointment has been changed now its May.

i am feeling very angry now i just want to get my life back on track.

i am not working at the moment as i am a cleaner i just have not got the energy.

• Posted

I never fill the prescriptions for pain meds because I usually start vomiting and cant hold anything down. Go to the ER with your records and urologist's info so there's no delay getting an IV of pain meds if this happens to you. I have over 20 stones in my kidneys none of which have given me much grief in several years. I know you feel like a ticking time bomb but you could have this stone for a long time. My advice is to plan for the worst but go along with your life as always and try not to worry about it.

• Posted

sorry, meant to say have not given me much grief

• Posted

thaks sdt. i appreciate your advice and will do so. I'll be able to get another ct scan in the new year. cheers Kevin..

• Posted

Quite often we have stones for many many years and dont even realise,its only when they either move or are found by accident that we no.

I started with stones 4 years ago and to date have had 3 surgeries and had between 30-40 removed.

The best advise i would give is to drink as much water as you can.

If you have pain take meds,but if its not given you any trouble leave well alone.

Luckily yours is very small and will hopefully pass with little or no pain.

Unfortunately once you have had stones you are more likely to get them again but not in every case of course.

Im also one of the unlucky ones like Chris and get recurring stones despite being on medication for the rest of my life.......Still could be far worse...!!!

Take Care and drink........

• Posted

thanks stephanie. i had some twitching in lower back right side where stone is located in right kidney. then i experienced pain across lower back. its gone now.havent had the twitching for over a week . am drinking water with lemon juice in it.. cheers Kevin..

• Posted

would an ultrasound show kidney stone? cheers Kevin..

• Posted

Only in 2020, at age 57 have I started getting to pass a kidney stone and learned ultrasound does not show stones, only CT or x-ray do

• Posted

thanks mike. these days i dont get the pain i had last tear but i do get a discomfort sometimes for a day and then it goes away for many days. its a part of my life i guess. ive come to accept it. its not really any trouble. cheers Kevin..

• Posted

I had 2 ultrasounds that showed a 5mm stone, and 2-xrays that showed nothing. It has been 9yrs and nothing happened yet. Uric acid stones don't show up on x-rays, but they can also miss stones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.