Kinesiology tape and Osteoarthritis

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was just wondering if any of you have tried Kinesiology tape?

My OA is so severe now, and I am living in constant agony, with my life basically on hold until my next TKR (49 YO and feel like im on the scrapheap!) Anyway, Ive been reading a bit about K Taping, and thought Id give it a go. I cant BELIEVE how effective it is! The pain is all but gone, the grating bone-on-bone has reduced, and I can get in and out of my house without a crutch/stick! Which I havent been able to do for about 12  month.

I only tried it today for the first time, but by golly Im hooked! The relief is instant, and constant (so far). 

Id be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it, and if the relief is long-lasting or a flash in the pan.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Never heard of it what exactly is it lol??
    • Posted

It's specific placement of a stretch tape which closely mimics the composition of the skin. It apparently supports musculature, can stabilise the patella, and facilitate the reduction of swelling.

Not to be confused with Applied Kinesiology, where a "practitioner" looks at you and tells you what they matter is with you!

Just put kinesiology taping into Google and have a look - I was very sceptical but so far it's really helping me.

• Posted

Oh I think thats what my physio has been using to lift my knee cap??? Do you just strap your knee???
    • Posted

It could well be! There are numerous different taping techniques, I just Googled and compared a few videos to get the hang of it.

There has to be different tension applied to the tape in different areas, but they're all pretty similar.

• Posted

I have heard of it and seen it used frequently in sport but never gave it a thought for my osteoarthritis as I presumed it was purely for muscle/ligament issues. Really interested to hear it's working for you.
    • Posted

I was the same, I've seen athletes using it and thought they looked like right pillocks lol. I never considered it for OA, but desperation got the better of me!I think part of it is supporting the muscles so that they work more effectively and improve the patellar tracking and knee load. I'll keep everyone updated!
  • Posted

This is really good info terri. I am definitely going to look into this! Thanks
    • Posted

You're welcome, anything that gives us a bit of relief!
  • Posted

I have been using this tape on my right knee  which has severe OA, on the advice of my physiotherapist, and it has made a big difference. My knee feels far more stable, and as a result feel I am better able to do the exercises she recommends. I am so thankful she suggested it.
    • Posted

Its the improved stability that has amazed me - previously I was in fear of my knee collapsing with every step I took, whereas now, after just a few hours of wearing it, I feel far steadier. And I was able to do a fair number of strengthening exercises this afternoon, so its a win/win so far.

How frustrating that the advice physios give varies so much! Mibe have never mentioned it.

• Posted

I agree terri, I will eventually have to have knee replacements, but having just recovered after hip replacement want to try to keep my knees going as long as possible! I have been working with a private physio who is very understanding , and it was she who suggest we try taping. I am aiming to keep muscles and ligaments as good as possible so when the time comes it will help recovery. Good luck with your exercise.....hard work isn't it! 
    • Posted

Oh yes it is hard work! Im trying to get back to full strength after TKR on right, while protecting and strengthening the left one PRIOR to TKR! 

I really wish Id found this tape malarkey before now, it would have made the last couple of months much more bearable. But hey ho, Ive got it now and thats the main thing. 

Long live your knees! 

• Posted

I have a lot of muscle and nnerve damage do u think it would work for me 😊
    • Posted

To be honest with you, I dont know enough about it to say definitely one way or the other - however, I would imagine it would help with your muscle damage, as it seems to support and stabilise. Maybe have a look at some of the info on the net - theres tons out there, and you could try and tailor your search to your specific difficulties.

I hope you find that it helps!

• Posted

Would be worth a try kristene, is not too expensive and seems to last for ages. The knee can be taped in different ways dependent on what support is needed....initially I had a ligament problem but now tape in a different way to stabilise my knee cap. I was amazed at the difference it made

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.