Kinesiology tape and Osteoarthritis

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was just wondering if any of you have tried Kinesiology tape?

My OA is so severe now, and I am living in constant agony, with my life basically on hold until my next TKR (49 YO and feel like im on the scrapheap!) Anyway, Ive been reading a bit about K Taping, and thought Id give it a go. I cant BELIEVE how effective it is! The pain is all but gone, the grating bone-on-bone has reduced, and I can get in and out of my house without a crutch/stick! Which I havent been able to do for about 12  month.

I only tried it today for the first time, but by golly Im hooked! The relief is instant, and constant (so far). 

Id be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it, and if the relief is long-lasting or a flash in the pan.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well folks, Ive been wearing the tape for 8 hours, and the difference beggars belief! Ive skipped 2 sets of pain meds, whereas Im usually counting down for the last 45 minutes or so (and Im talking tramadol or codeine as well as paracetmol every 4 hours as well as slow release Naproxen twice a day) . Ive been able to do my strengthening exercises without pain, the oedema in my leg and foot has halved, and I can go up and down steps without a crutch!

The crippling exhaustion that Ive been suffering but been unable to understand the cause - that seems to have disappeared as well. I can only imagine that it was the combination of horribly strong pain meds and constant, severe pain that was grinding me down. 

So, very early days, and theres every chance I could crash and burn tomorrow, but for the first time in ages Ive actually enjoyed my day, pottered about in the garden, done my exercises out in the sunshine, and felt "normal".

Oh, and my daughter managed to walk (carefully!) from round the corner and have tea with us, happy days!!

• Posted

That all sounds fantastic. I am really pleased for you. I will definitely be getting some tape!
  • Posted

I bought a pack recently...I think from Superdrug.

it's authentic Kenesio - dynamic knee support - pre-cut knee application.  I haven't actually used it yet, but think I will, as in a lot of pain waiting for my knee to be opened up again and scar tissue removed.  It might just support the knee enough.  

patsy

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Go for it PR, the difference to me after less than 24 hours is unbelievable cheesygrin

My tape was from Aldi, as part of their Health and Fitness promotion, I think it was aabout £3!

• Posted

Yes. My PT used it on me after my total knee. He said it would help with the swelling. It did help some, but not enough to keep using it. They had roles of it and made their own to weave on my knee. Cut like a long set of fingers on a small hand. You can look it up on internet and find it. Cost alot if you buy already cut to design you will be using.
  • Posted

Hi terri, I have seen a ready made one on Amazon is that how you have put yours on. Sort of criss crossed and down the side of the leg?
    • Posted

No, I bought a complete roll and you cut to your own measurements. I use one strip about 18 cm, anchored underneath the knee horizontally, and then 2 strips, one about 3 cm longer than the other, anchor each one centrally above the knee then kind of bend and sweep around the knee and back under the knee, below the horizontal piece. Which probably makes no sense at all redface If you would like, I can PM you the details of the video I used to get the initial method. 
    • Posted

Yes please. I can't quite get what you are saying - I'm probably being thick. redface
  • Posted

Hi terri like you I am waiting for my 2nd tkr after reading your post I have ordered some tape to try is it still working for you x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, it sure is still working! I left it off for 24 hours a couple of days ago, just to see the difference it made, and definitely regretted it! The knee is much more stable with it on, and it seems to stop things moving about in the knee joint so much.

I hope it works as well for you! Xx

• Posted

I just googled "Kinesiology Tape for Knee Osteoarthritis" and looked at a few videos - Rocktape have a particularly good one, and they have lots of techniques for various other conditions as well xx
  • Posted

Hi Terri, another KTape question!  In all your research have you seen anything against using the KTape for people with poor circulation?  And is it latex-based?  (Lucky me... I'm allergic to latex)  rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi

The tape I use is called Active Med and its Latex-free - I can imagine that they mostly are. And Ive seen no contra-indications for poor circulation - if anything, I think it may be beneficial in certain circumstances as there are ways of taping to help with oedema. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.