Kinesiology tape and Osteoarthritis

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was just wondering if any of you have tried Kinesiology tape?

My OA is so severe now, and I am living in constant agony, with my life basically on hold until my next TKR (49 YO and feel like im on the scrapheap!) Anyway, Ive been reading a bit about K Taping, and thought Id give it a go. I cant BELIEVE how effective it is! The pain is all but gone, the grating bone-on-bone has reduced, and I can get in and out of my house without a crutch/stick! Which I havent been able to do for about 12  month.

I only tried it today for the first time, but by golly Im hooked! The relief is instant, and constant (so far). 

Id be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it, and if the relief is long-lasting or a flash in the pan.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi terri,

​After watching the video from the link you sent me, I taped up my knee. I didn't seem to be working for me. I had a physio session on Thursday and all I had done wrong was the strip under the knee was a small amount too low. I know have it strapped better, and whilst I am not 100% pain free, I am much improved and able to get about better. Hopefully that knee will hold out a bit longer while I get my operated knee in good working order! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am sure it will help a lot of people. smile

• Posted

Thats great! Thanks for letting me know! Its a bit trial and error to start with, and I knew almost straight away that Id got is a bit wrong the other day, but Im still amazed at the difference it can make.

Long live K Tape!!cheesygrin

• Posted

Thank you terri for sharing the kinesiology tape with us got mine yesterday and used it today absolutely brilliant knee feels so much better 
    • Posted

Another satisfied customer 😁 I'm so happy that I was able to share this, and that it's helping others. 3 cheers for K Tape 🎉🎊
  • Posted

How often do you change your tape. It stays stuck fast even after a shower! at the moment I am changing it every 3 days. Should it be changed every day?
    • Posted

I think I read somewhere that you can leave it on for up to 7 days - so far, Ive been leaving ot for about 3-4 days, by then some of the ends are starting to curl up and fray a bit. 

Its a bugger to get off, isnt it?! 

• Posted

LOL! :D that's why I was checking with you as by day 3 it was getting a bit curly! Thanks. You can sure tell the difference if you don't quite get it right! But when you do, what a relief it is to that poor knee! I can't thank you enough for sharing this info, you are giving me some free weeks before I succumb to TKR 2

thanks

Elaine

• Posted

I just started using the Kinesiology tapes and also find them great at stabilizing the patella and walking is way easier.. My issue is how do you get them from curling off after just one day? It can get expensive, I wish they would stay on longer than 24 hours.  
    • Posted

Hi. Try using a spray adhesive on your knee before you put the tape on. They used this in my therapy sessions. Amazon sells some the medical kind.
  • Posted

I haven't read through the comments completely, and I will, but I would love to know how you wrap, considering you are bone-on-bone, which I am now on both knees.  I just bought the tape, and put on per the video that describes full support.  It does seem to be helping, other than the patella is giving me a little bit of trouble on one knee – but it's not painful

• Posted

Well now that I've read this post, I should've waited, LOL.  I would be interested in seeing the same video that you PM'd to someone else (but it does sound a lot like the one I used).   I have specific points on both knees that hurts the most, and I'm going to try just taping them for stability and see if that works as well (less tape).  By now you've probably had a knee replacement and aren't using it. Unfortunately for me I have a medical condition that my doctor wants me off of that choice.

• Posted

Are you talking about tape that you wrap around your knee.  I've never heard of it.  Where are you can I get some?

• Posted

I am amazed that not one medical person ever mentioned it.  I think they want a person to remain dependent.  I crash landed on my surgery knee 4 months ago, and it has seriously retarded my progress
  • Posted

I would like to purchase K tape there is a very good feed back the authorities people have had good pain help that I would like very much please can you help
  • Posted

I do not find you help full at all it has been a nightmare trying to purchase K tape from you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.