Knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am 2 weeks post op

my knee has been sore since the beginning post op. 

I have even used cold cuff I borrowed off mum from when she had her new knee. . I use it to wrap round my bum and hip as well. Quite effective only trouble is it doesn't stay cold long enough!!  It is quite a palaver emptying the cuff. Filling bucket with ice and cold water, then you drain the water into the cuff wrapped round your knee , remove hose from cuff an hey presto. really cold. Helps though. 

Back to my knee. Do you think the knee is put in some sort of clamp? because it really hurts behind my knee. It hurts to do exercise where you stand and lift your foot up and feels very swollen behind the knee. 

Anyone out there had anything similar??

having said that, I amdoing well and happy with my recovery.

Glad to hear so many positive stories 

i hope you are all asleep and pain free 

I'm having a slightly iffy night but am now just going to try bed again. 

Carol x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carol

Me again!

With normal hip replacement they have to dislocate the hip first before they start and that must involve a lot of manhandling

I would think that they would have to hold on to the knee to do that

the procedure I had does not involve any dislocation and strangely enough I have no knee pain at all

Could be the reason??

xx

• Posted

Hi Linda, Carol,

I had non dislocation op and my knee has been the longest part of recovery. When i spoke to Michael, he said knee and/ or back pain for a while after thr are common due to variety of reasons inc manipulation, posture change, taking extra strain for weakened muscles after op... should sort itself after a few months... and it is almost sorted in my case.

Hope yours sorts itself soon , ask physio for specific advice if keeps giving trouble.

All the best Jay.

• Posted

Good morning Carol ..

I think it is likely that they have to manipulate the knee during THR surgery ... That cold cuff sounds delightful .... 

my knee on operated side was hurting pre-op - and now knee pn the unoperated side is hurting --- this, I was told, is mainly because of my wobble and unbalanced way of walking - plus, oh how I hate to admit this, additional pounds are putting extra strain on poor knees ... 

but yours sound different - can you massage it with muscle cream - voltaren or something?  just be gentle with your self and the exercises ... I would do them slowly, little by little - and when in doubt, call doctors office ... 

big hug .... good to hear you are being happy with your recovery !!!! 

• Posted

Well I could fell my leg being tugged so that would affect the knee . I'd say take it easy for a few days. I got in to bed in hospital on my own last night and immediately thought I had pulled something. We have been through a big trauma and as someone here said watch the op on YouTube. I tried to but could only get as far as them cutting through the fat. But that is going to be my reply to anyone who tells me I should be doing better ---Watch the op!!!
    • Posted

I'm open for all possibilities 

i watched the video 2nd night in hospital because I was so uncomfortable couldn't concentrate on anything and thought what the hell have they done to me ?why do I hurt so much. ?

I won't go into detail, for maybe some of you would  prefer not to know the ins and outs, but after watching I appreciated why I hurt so much. More like a mechanic at work,than a surgeon!!

absulute rubbish night slept in chair from 5-8am

trouble is have put o half a stone since being home. Lack of exercise I was very active before. It's so much harder to get off these days. 

Never mind. New day, sun is shining, just finished tea and toast, going to have a shower and put something cool on , pity have to wear the socks!!!

Hope you all have a good day

carol

• Posted

I asked if I could take socks off for two hours to get legs tanned but no way. Way all prepared for home but won't let me go till I poo. Ah well let's hope sh*t happens
    • Posted

Consultant here told me to watch weight. Very easy to put it on when people are being kind bringing goodies. Was set for home but can't leave till bowels move.
    • Posted

Hi Carol

Are you on stomach injections to thin blood?

i have never had to wear the socks - they said once I was walking no need

Don't know if I have to do injections to compensate

xx

• Posted

Hi pansy

i had injections in the hospital but they sent me home with tablets for thinning blood. X

• Posted

hope you have had some movement!! 

Really uncomfortable on that toilet seat isn't it. I never expected my buttock to  be quite so sore! Lots better now though. 

My weakness at the moment is hot chocolate, dark chocolate ginger biscuits, and crunchy peanut butter, which I can eat out the jar!  Oh, and the odd glass of wine. 

it  will have to stop.!  

Enjoy going home, don't forget we are always here

carol 🌻🌻😄x

• Posted

ask for some liquorice or pinapple juice that should make you go smile
  • Posted

Hi Carol

I can confirm that the operation itself is extremely violent - as pansycat says, they ahve to dislocate the hip, which involves 2 burly surgeons grabbing hold and pulling in opposite directions! Added to that, the bruising and swelling from the hip area has to go somewhere and with me it seemed to pool around the back of my knee - it couldn't go further because of the ted socks. So yes, it was stiff and painful for quite a while but is pretty much better now - I'm 4 weeks post op. 

Moving around will help shift the swelling and bruising, so keep walking and doing your exercises, with pain killers as  necessary, and use the ice pack and keep your legs elevated when resting.

Hope things get better soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.