Laparoscopy Oophorectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have decided to go for this op after having been told 6cm cyst. I am 53, had sub total hysterectomy already and post menopausal so I thought have it all taken out.Has anybody had this and what was your experience please? Have been told if the keyhole surgery doesn't work they will go for the full abdominal surgery. Been told it would be good to lose weight but easier said then done...how long did you have to wait for the surgery, how long did it take to recover? Any advice welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianne.

I had laparoscopy surgery in 2015 for a tumor (which ended up being benign) on my left ovary. The surgery was a breeze, and they ended up removing my ovary, fallopian tube, along with the tumor. I believe it was around 8cm.

Surgery took about an hour and a half, and I was sent home the same day. Recovery was very quick for me, I healed very well. the only thing you should be aware to prepare for is the free floating gas that gets stitched up after surgery. this took about a week to subside and did cause quite a bit of discomfort in my shoulder. Stock up on high fiber foods, and some celery juice, as the constipation will likely be the hardest part of recovery. The actual incisions are the least of the pain and recovery, and will heal amazingly well! So severe bloating, gas pain in shoulder, and constipation is what you should be ready for! Hope this helps, nod good luck! Laparoscopy is an amazing minimally invasive surgery!

• Posted

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. They told me if it couldn't be done by keyhole, I would have to have a cut, so of course I am imagining the worst case scenario, but I hope not!

• Posted

i am three weeks post op from bilateral oopherectomy had a large cyst on left ovary but at 51 and post menopausal decided to have both ovaries removed.

Operation was keyhole however scar on left side is 2cm long presumably to remove cyst.

Recovery has been good and back to work this week. I was diagnosed in January so had a 7 month wait for surgery which was quite stressful but I guess it depends on the nhs near you. Hope it all goes well for you too.

• Posted

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.