Laparoscopy post op dermoid cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just had my dermoid cyst (5.5cm) removed via keyhole surgery on 7th Mar. My last period was on 3rd Mar but till date it has yet to come. I do feel kinda weird at my lower abdominal with abit of cramp. I have went to for the follow up with the surgeron and was told that they usually dun prescribe any medicine for the period to come.

Is this normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did you have the ovary removed with the cyst? May not come as I believe ovaries take turns to release eggs. It should sort it's self out eventually. Give it another month to see what happens then speak with your GP if still not having a period.

I've got a 15cm dermoid cyst on my left ovary and a 5cm cystodenofibroma on my right ovary. Need to have both cysts and ovaries removed, so will go straight into menopause after surgery, just on a watch and wait at the moment as having no pain.

• Posted

thank u so much for the quick reply! great that u are not having any pain right now. nope. e ovary was not removed, just the cyst that was removed. I am currently 30 years old so would not be approaching menopause anytime soon.

• Posted

Are you sure you'll need both ovaries removed? Maybe get a second opinion? My surgeon just took our my 15cm dermoid cyst 5 days ago and kept the ovary and everything else. Something to look into as surgical menopause does NOT sound fun! I thought there was no way they were going keep my ovary with that monster, but the surgeon acted like it was no big deal.

• Posted

I wasn't prescribed anything.

I Had one ovary and 4 dermoids removed (from both ovaries) and came on the day before my surgery. My period stopped after my surgery and then came when it was due the next month. There was no mention of prescribing anything to start it.

Have you missed a period? Perhaps the stress of the op has caused it of so.

• Posted

how how was your guys's healing process for the surgery? any complications? I am super scared I have a 6.5 CM dermoid cyst on my right ovary that has been causing me extreme pain and I'm really worried about it rupturing before I can get it taken out. any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

I had open surgery to remove mine and recovered well. As long as you don't try to do too much too soon. It took me a good 8 weeks to feel "right" and 6 months to feel normal.

The risk of the dermoid rupturing is quite low (according to my surgeon) so try not to worry too much.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.