Laparotomy recovery time

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Coming up seven weeks ago I had a laparotomy and have subsiquently been diagnosed with Endometriosis; I had a massive overian cyst (20cm) so I had the operation to remove the whole ovary, my fallopian tube, a cyst from the other ovary and also my appendix (it had an endo growth on it. I am still absolutely exhausted and I don't feel like my energy levels have risen the whole time I have spent recovering. I was wandering if anyone could help? Although I had a lot done I still find it a but strange that I'm still so tired this long after surgery. I wander if maybe it could be down to an underlying condition? Also it can't be anemia as I am on Iron.

Thanks,

Sophie

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

I had a laparoscopy almost 7 weeks ago too, and I was diagnosed with endometriosis as well. It normally takes others 1-2 weeks to get better but for me it took at least 4 weeks to start feeling no more sharp pain inside and walk normally.

Everyone has different experience in healing. Since you had a lot done than me, perhaps it will make more time to recover.

Now, looking further beyond our disease and surgery, have you considered that your fatigue might come from or be contributed by other factors?

For examples, what do your daily activities look like? Do you exercise? What kind of foods do you take? How much rest do you take?

Exercise, eating high-nutrient foods while cutting down refined carbohydrate, processed food, and trans fats, and taking enough sleep, are the basic things that keep us healthy. If you haven't tried these, why not give them a try and see if you will feel better. I personally believe that these will tremendously help, and most of all, there is no risk but benefits to reap.

The most stupid thing I did after a few days of surgery was eating a pan of pizza. I knew that refined carbohydrate can worsen inflammation but I wanted to spoil myself. When I didn't recover well and fast as normal people do, I learned the lesson.

I hope you will feel better soon.

J.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.