Left lung problems, please tell me it's not cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 24 and smoked since I was 12. Have been a pretty heavy smoker for the past 4 years. Smoking about a pack, sometimes more a day. Since December (3 months ago) I developed this congestion in my left lung (felt more like left side of throat at first) that had me constantly clearing my throat keeping me up at night. It really only seemed to bother me while trying to sleep. Now its all day and 10x worse at night. My lung feels like its coated in very think phlegm and/or a blockage in the left side of throat (or top of lung). I can't cough it up and it's really irritating, especially when trying to sleep. I get wheezing in that lung quite frequently lately as well and also get back, chest, rib, and shoulder pain but is dull, or not too bad most of the time.

I'm scared because I see these symptoms when I search lung cancer symptoms but it also says most times these symptoms aren't lung cancer so I came here hoping to find some answers.

Could it be something simple? Maybe pneumonia or an infection? Should I be worried?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry but I had to laugh, something simple like pneumonia or just a trivial chest infection, have you been to your GP or are you afraid he will advise you to quit smoking, same as I'm going to do, COPD is not just restricted to us older folks and probably worse if you started so young,do you want me to dress this up and tell you it's ok or be blunt because to be honest I have never been anything but blunt, I quit 8 years ago, wish someone has been blunt with me when I was your age and so do all my friends who didn't stop till it was way to late, some eternally too late if you get my drift.

So today could be the best or worst day of your life, u can decide to quit with support and advice or you can think that the really bad stuff will never happen to you and continue smoking deciding you can do it when your older. It's all up to you, your the only one who has the potential to become a non smoker or carry on smoking, either way you need to see your doctor ASAP and get it sorted before it turns really bad,I will support you if you go the quit route, once your on the road it's not half bad I promise.

• Posted

Hi Steven, have to agree with Alexandria. I wish someone had spelled it out to me years ago too. First of all, go and see your GP. You will only find out whats wrong by being examined...maybe you need antibiotics, an xray?? Whilst smoking is enjoyable for those of us who get hooked, its poison to your body, and most of us will get caught out by it, one way or another. Dont kid yourself otherwise. You are young enough to perhaps reverse the damage cigs have done to your lungs. the last thing I want to do is patronise you when I smoked for over 30 years. Honestly though, the best thing I ever did was stop, and wish I had years ago. Hope your doc can help you to feel better, and we are always here to support you if you try to stop. Let us know how you get on x
  • Posted

hey, can u keep me updated with how you are doing? 

i am 21 and smoked since i was 13, smoked weed and i mean a lot. all day everyday. i have shortness of breath to the point that i literally need a deep breathe every couple breathes but its never satisfying.

i have had chest x-rays, spirometery, ct scans, ekgs, ecograms... all came back normal. doctors think its not my lungs but man... i smoked a s**t ton...

Any advice is appreciated, and i would also appreciate it if you could keep me updated with your situation, because i feel as if were in the same boat. 

• Posted

Hi I don't usually comment on another post requesting advice in someone else's thread but you sound to me as if your hyperventilating, this can be caused by anxiety and or stress pack in the smoke and start some form of exercise, I know that sounds nuts but you are taking in too much of, you need to get fit

• Posted

Hey Steven, I am In my early 30s and I don't smoke anymore. I started smoking when I was 18 and finally left it couple of months back. I also faced the same scenario - cough, irritation, anxiety, chest pain, etc. I was also scared that something is really wrong with me but everything is fine. But I am happy that I have stop smoking. Actually it is a major factor that weakens our organs and accelerate the aging process. So it is important to live a healthy lifestyle to delay aging and keep yourself fit. Try to include anti aging foods to overcome aging. Try some super effective anti aging home remedies to keep your organs young and healthy. These ways have helped to quit smoking!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.