Levelling out

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been on sertraline for 5 months it's been a roller coaster ride of good highs and very bad lows, everything seems to be levelling out now and I feel like I have turned a corner, this drug takes time and patience and it is hard, but sticking to the same brand and the same dose makes you stronger over time. Give yourself a break don't over do it when you having a good day and don't beat yourself up when having a low day just try to relax and allow your body to heal.

5 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Amen!  Also finding the right medication has helped.  I was on a couple horrible meds since the first of the year.  Sertraline has helped me the most.  Started out in June on 25 mg then was upped to 50 mg.  50 mg was too much - I now take 25 mg in the morning then cut a 25 in half and take that in evening.  It works well for me.  A really big thing is acceptance of things!  
  • Posted

Nice to hear positive replies about Sertraline I've been on them now for about 18months. Has anyone managed to get off them without too many reactions?  I also suspect it's slow and patience
    • Posted

What dose are you on? And why do you want to come off?
    • Posted

I spent a year weaning off of sertraline. I don't think I experienced any side effects while coming off. Unfortunately, my anxiety came back once the drug was completely out of my system and I decided to go back on it.
  • Posted

I have had a really hard time on these.  I am trying to be a s patient as possible I am on day 17 and on 37.5 MG supposed to start 50MG this weekend but I am nervouse did you have increased anxeity upon upping you dose and did the side effects get worse?
  • Posted

Did it take 5 months to feel better?
    • Posted

I started and stayed on 100mg through out, started feeling better from 3 months but still had ups and down until 5 months and now I seem to have levelled out and I am almost normal
    • Posted

Not to bad thank you still having the odd bad day of head pressure, but other than that pretty good, how about you
    • Posted

I'm down to 12.5mg every other day anxiety not half as bad but moods low just hoping it the withdrawal
  • Posted

Hi Philip, ive been on Sertraline for 3 and a half weeks now, the first two weeks were absolutely awful, i hardly left my bed, my anxiety was even worse and the brain fog and nausea was so hard to deal with  and then i got a few more positive days and then slipped back a bit where i felt really jittery and nervous, do you think this is normal as im worried it will never settle down? Ive gone from being quite a confident lady  in my 50s that enjoyed travel and sport etc and now im frightened to go to the shops on my own. The anxiety came out of nowhere, just all of a sudden so i feel dissappointed in myself.
    • Posted

This is completely normal, I had more and more positive days but it takes time, days become weeks, weeks become months, I was up and down and exactly how your feeling for at least 3 months +, and then it all starting getting better, don't beat yourself up, take each day as it comes, I've had such a good support network with my partner and family, even managed to go away to France a few weeks ago, I can even go driving and shopping on my own, still have a few moments of heart palpitations and hot flushes but I try to ignore them and carry on, I've started new hobbies to keep my mind busy, I've even quit all caffeine from my diet as that's a stimulant, I drink plenty of water and peppermint and camomile tea which helps, also I take recuse remedy in the morning and the night time version before bed which helps me sleep
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Philip, its very reassuring to know that it will take time to settle down. Im trying to keep busy and my family live close by and are very supportive. The worse times are when im on my own but i will keep going and hope for the best.
    • Posted

I am new to this medication, only on my 3rd day but am also having bad stomach, lack of sleep etc. I agree it's when you're on your own that you feel worse, I suppose that's when we let our thoughts take over.  Hope you soon feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Linda please feel free to message me anytime, im a bit further ahead with the medication as been on it nearly a month and i am so much better so it will work for you, just stay strong and be positive. I have a self hypnosis cd that my brother sent to me and when my anxiety got really bad i listened to that and it takes your mind of everything and helps you relax.
    • Posted

Hello Jane,  thanks for your message and I'm glad you're feeling much better.  I had a better night's sleep but woke up jittery again, so annoying as my jitters had gone I just felt a bit down which is why I went to the docs.  Have been into work this morning and coped well but I do feel dizzy and very tired.  This is where I'm not sure whether to give in and have a nap during the day or stay busy, did you get very tired and dizzy and what did you do?  Had been thinking about asking doc for a change of meds but after your message will do as you suggest and stay positive and strong , so thank you so much for that encouragement.  My biggest concern is that I now feel worse than before I went to the docs. How long was it before the jitters stopped for you?
    • Posted

Jitters faded after 4-6 weeks for me but everyone is different the first month or so I was taking afternoon naps.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Philip.  Will stick it out for the time being and see how things go.  It's a bit annoying as my jitters had more or less gone before I started the meds I was just feeling low in myself so to have the full blown jitters back again is horrible but I'm guessing that is the drug and not me causing it.
    • Posted

Hi Linda The jitters stopped after about 3 weeks, mornings were worse for me, iwould wake up in quite a state but its more or less stopped now, i do still feel short of breath and dizzy on occasions but i think thats only to be expected for the first couple of months. Get plenty of rest when you feel you need it, get yourself a self hypnosis CD, they are great for helping you relax.
    • Posted

Hello Jane, thanks for that, I've just got to hang on in there then.  I agree the mornings are worse for me too, also when I'm at home on my own.  Will have a look on amazon for self hypnosis CD.  Hope you are having a good day.
    • Posted

Hi Linda ive had quite a good day thanks, lots of rest and being kind to myself , its so important. I hate it when im on my own aswell but things can only get better, so Positive thinking is the way to go. Keep in touch and let me know how youre doing and Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hello Jane, glad you have had a good day and been kind to yourself.  Just as a matter of interest Jane do you drive while taking the Sertraline, my doctor says I can but have read a few reports that say you shouldn't. Will keep in touch and good luch to you too.
    • Posted

Hi Linda , yes i do drive but when i first started the Sertraline the doctor also gave me some Diazapam to calm me down, i took this for a week and you definately cant drive while taking those ! But im just on Sertraline now and am back driving.
    • Posted

Hello Jane,  Ok thanks for that reply, I'm only on Sertraline so will get driving. Take care.
    • Posted

Hello Philip, yes I did go for a drive and was fine.  Today however I feel worse than ever, sweaty, panicky and dizzy.  I'm on day 6 and almost went back to Dr to see about coming off sertraline but I think I need to give it longer.  Did you have days when you felt much worse in the beginning.  To be honese I think I feel worse now than before I was taking them.  Depression is better but anxiety worse.  Hope you are OK today?
    • Posted

Hi Linda these tablets will always make you feel much worse before you will feel better, you must stick at it and just try to get through it. I would get the odd good day and loads of awful sick ones but now its the opposite i just get the odd bad one, it really does take a while for your body to get used to them. I hope this happens for you soon. Todays not a bad day but even now i know i have to wait a bit longer to even get back to feeling normal again.
    • Posted

Keep with them,  I had a decent day yesterday and today has start off pretty good and I am on Day 12 of 50MG.  I know it is hard to wait but we must we are stronger than most people.
    • Posted

You should feel alittle better after the first couple weeks, but I does take along time to be normal again
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Philip.  I will stick with it and try to accept how I feel as temporary.  Appreciate your support
    • Posted

Thanks Jane, I've been having doubts about whether I should stick with the Sertraline or not but you have made me feel more positive.  So glad you have more good days than bad.
    • Posted

Richard it's so good to see you are feeling better now after such a hard time, it's given me inspiration to continue with the Sertraline.  i have only just started on the meds, day 6 50mg.  Been feeling awful with similar symptoms to you including the dry heaving abd waking at 4 am, feel even worse with anxiety today and almost went back to the docs to ask for a change of prescription but will follow your lead and stick with it.  The people on here are so supportive aren't they.
    • Posted

Wow im so pleased to hear that you are feeling a little bit better. Well done Richard.
    • Posted

Yes yesterday and today where not so bad, i did just have a little rush of anxeity but it always seems to happen around noon time and my head gets a little foggy if I can get past this hurtle then I think I would be good.  I still get the dry heaves in the morning but today was not as bad as usual.
    • Posted

Hi Linda im having a blip today, nausea and jelly wobbly legs, i thought i was doing so well  ! Fed up.
    • Posted

Not to bad went down to 12 1/2 mg yesterday i thought you said that you felt good a few weeks ago have things changed again ?
    • Posted

Yeh was crap from Wednesday to roughly Wednesday, on the up again now, just a blip thank god

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.