Levelling out

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been on sertraline for 5 months it's been a roller coaster ride of good highs and very bad lows, everything seems to be levelling out now and I feel like I have turned a corner, this drug takes time and patience and it is hard, but sticking to the same brand and the same dose makes you stronger over time. Give yourself a break don't over do it when you having a good day and don't beat yourself up when having a low day just try to relax and allow your body to heal.

5 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

Just been following this thread, experiencing similar ups and downs and side effects.

On 50 mg Sertraline day 22

Taking it all day by day, been on it before and it does.level off after a month or 2 so stick with it and take it easy.

• Posted

Dr did give me a little diazepam px to take with it when required, 28 5mg only used 6 so far on a bad day it does take.the edge off.
    • Posted

Hi John the doctor gave me Diazepam to take alongside the Sertraline i only took it for the first week and it really does help take the edge off doesnt it? but made me just want to sleep so ive resisted taking anymore and ive survived and im a month and a half into the Sertraline now and feeling a much better.
    • Posted

You're right, it's not something I'd want to get used too either but its a good idea if initially it does make your symptoms worse.

I can feel the Sertraline showing signs of working (if that makes sense)

I've got the option to go to 100mg, but I'm holding out to 6 weeks first to see how I balance out.

All the best

• Posted

I am doing the samething waiting 6 weeks to see if I balance out, I would prefer to be on the lowest effective dose at all times.
    • Posted

I would stick to 50mg , cant imagine what 100mg would be like !
    • Posted

I've been up to 100mg in the past, wasn't too bad.

I also like to keep it to a minimum, as long as I can manage ok.

I only come off them in July I was on 1x 25mg every other day for 18 months.

With basic coping strategies and exercise I managed well, came off them and had a 2 week intense speed wobble 4 weeks ago.

• Posted

Hello John, does that mean you are off them completely now? I'm only just starting and already worrying about weaning off when the time is right.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I've recently gone back on them.

That's what I was on for about 18 months, I found the reduction which was a little bit off every couple of months ok.

I was on 25mg every other day, then every 3 days then stopped. Was OK for 3 months, then trouble sleeping, which in turn brought back anxiety and depression.

So I've gone back onto 50mg and will start it all again. But will stabilise for over a year before I even think about coming off.

I've accepted I need some kind of medication in my life, 17 years of various symptoms now.

Diagnosed anxiety disorder, then OCD but recently bi-Polar.

Got quitiapine too but I won't take that.

I found sertraline seems to work for me, 3 weeks in and it's a rough ride though. Levelling off slowly.

• Posted

Good luck with it, try not to worry about the future too much and take it day by day.

I keep a little diary to look back on. (I find it helps)

When it comes to it a slow planned reduction with your go and you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply John, will try not to think too far ahead.  Just can't understand why this medication makes us feel even more anxious, I've almost given up a couple of times but scared of feeling even worse if I come of them after only 1 week.  Hope you soon feel better.
    • Posted

There's a lot of changes going on chemically, it kind of ruffles all the feathers before it settles again and levels out.

It is a bit of a rough ride but try and hit the 4- 6 week mark if you can.

Focus on any little improvements or signs that there may be changes.

Keep strong, I'm guessing you've delt with these issues long enough now, hold out a bit longer if you can.

Come on here if you need a bit of support.

Ride it out,

• Posted

Thanks John for your reply.  I'm trying not to fight the feelings of anxiety and they really have got a lot better.  My worst problem is the waking between 3 and 4 am every morning and unable to get back to sleep.  I've just ordered a hypnosis cd as others have recommended and will see if that helps.  Dread going to bed at the moment.
    • Posted

Same here with the sleep.

The dread feeds the issue even more and it's a vicious circle then.

Lately I've managed to sleep from about 11 pm to 4 am, but from 4 onwards it's like I'm awake every 30 minutes if I manage to get back.

Another thing that I'm hoping will eventually sort it's self out.

The last 6 nights have got good for me I'm managing 7 hours the first 4-5 hours not waking.

4 weeks ago I was lucky to sleep 3-4 hours a night.

The cd may help give it a go, I've cut out tea and coffee and just drink redbush tea now.

Try not to eat after 8 pm especially carbs.

What day are you on now with the srtraline?

• Posted

Hello John, I'm on day 11, been to dr today as blood test indicated I could have diabetes, have got to repeat blood test to double check,  I also spoke to him about the awful side effects.  Dr seems to think at day 11 I should be through the worst of them and if I still feel bad in 7 days to go back to see about something else.  I'm not having much caffeine just the odd cup of tea, mainly drinking camomile tea. won't eat after 8 pm then, don't usually anyway.  I see you're further on in the sertraline than I am. glad to see you are sleeping better now, do you generally feel better?
    • Posted

Hi Linda

If it's diabetes that may be the reason you're not getting on well with sertraline, it may also with that diagnosis be easier to address your symptoms through other medication etc. ..

I'd say at 4 weeks in I'm 50% better to what I was, had some serious anxiety this afternoon but weathered the storm.

Feeling side effects still, but having been here before I'm hoping at 6 weeks I'll be stronger to deal with things and the Sertraline should settle.

It doesn't seem to totally take away the depression/anxiety, but definitely puts me in a better frame of mind to deal with it.

Hope your better soon, I suppose your waiting on your bloods to know where to go next?

Keep us posted, good luck.

• Posted

Hi John

I totally agree when you say it doesn't get rid of the anxiety and depression it sopose to help you though it that's why I'm coming off it (it seemed to make me worse) these meds just block the problem and that's not what I want I want to get to the bottom of the problem I'm not saying these meds arnt good for some people because they

• Posted

You're right Don, not very everyone, and if they do work it can be a case of just putting a pleasure over it all.

For me.its a tool I go back to now and then for some rest in dealing with it all.

Despite an understanding of why I'm the way I am I can't seem to get on top of it without medication.

Well not at the moment at least.

Hope you get there, it's possible. All the best.

• Posted

Thanks hope u get their soon

Just remember u WILL get their

Have u had any cbt ?

• Posted

Oh gosh, so many of us in the same boat, I wqnt to join this forum, for support. I also dread going to sleep, that's if I can get to sleep, I'm on 2nd week of 50mg, next Friday I see my Dr again, I wonder if she will up the dose? Should I let her or keep on 50??
    • Posted

Hello John, how are you today.  I've now had my blood tests back and it's good new, I don't have diabetes so that's one thing less to worry about.  I'm on day 20 of the sertraline and had a good night's sleep last night, woke once but went straight back to sleep until 5.45 so that's a huge improvement.  Felt much better today too. Had palpatations this afternoon but did some meditation with headspace and fell asleep, felt so much better after that.  Hope you are feeling OK?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.