Levelling out

Posted , 11 users are following.

Been on sertraline for 5 months it's been a roller coaster ride of good highs and very bad lows, everything seems to be levelling out now and I feel like I have turned a corner, this drug takes time and patience and it is hard, but sticking to the same brand and the same dose makes you stronger over time. Give yourself a break don't over do it when you having a good day and don't beat yourself up when having a low day just try to relax and allow your body to heal.

5 likes, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Philip,  Am going to see a doctor this afternoon as I had some blood tests done when I first went to the doctor and when I phoned today for my results I was told to make an appointment with diabetic nurse.  This is the first I've heard that I could have diabetes so I'm insisting I see a doctor and not the nurse in the first instance.  I see from the information leaflet that you shouldn't take sertraline if you are diabetic so I will see what the doctor says.  I really don't want to take anti depressants if I don't need to so if diabetes is an underlying condition of my depression I'm hoping dealing with that will be enough.  Will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

Blood test for diabetes was a bit high as was kidney function levels but noting to worry about, so got to have fasting blood test done now on Wednesday, dr says I may not be diabetic, hope not.  I spoke about the side effects of Sertraline and as I'm on day 11 he feels I should be over the worst of the side effects but if I don't feel better by next to go back for a change of meds.  I'll try to get to 3 weeks if I can and see if things stabilise. Thanks for asking, how are you today?
  • Posted

Thanks for the post Phillip,

I'm about 3.5 months in, moved up to 100mg about 3 weeks ago. The rollercoaster ride is real man, it seems I'm either great or not so great - there doesn't seem to be a midpoint yet as of yet. The lows aren't as bad though and I can still function.

How does it feel once levelled out exactly? I don't know if my good moments are just a phase that won't last.

Rossy

• Posted

Bad news I'm afraid, I thought I was on the road to levelling out but I have a week long blips last week, but I'm on the up again now, I have about an hour in the morning that isn't great but days and evenings are fine
    • Posted

Most of the side effects are gone still have clammy hands and occasional hot flushes but other than that touch wood my head is clear, sicky feeling has passed and I can eat and sleep ok. Fingers crossed it lasts, months 4.5 to 5.5 I was fine 4 weeks being normal then I crashed for a week but on the up again. Bloody roller coaster
    • Posted

mornings are always a bit edgy for me too, for an hour or two.

Nothing too heavy just not right.

• Posted

That happened to me thought I was on the mend then boom it all came back witch makes you feel worse because you thought things were getting better 6 months I was like that up and down that's you I decided to ween myself off
    • Posted

I sorry from your post I really thought you where over everything,  you give a lot of people hope.  I hope things pan out and you get on the road to normal again.  I seem to be doing pretty good on 50mg and probably will not increase unless something dramtic happens,  I still feel a little off early in the morning but by afternoon I seem pretty good, still a little tired through out the day but I think that comes with the territory.  
  • Posted

Philip how are you doing?
    • Posted

A lot lot better im almost there, still alittle down, I've also got a wisdom tooth gum infection going on so mouth and jaw are swollen but anti biotics should kick in and cure that. How are you?
    • Posted

I know how you feel, when I first started getting anxeity I was having a wisdom tooth problem, they had to remove the tooth.  Well all get through stay strong bud!
    • Posted

I know I suffered for almost a year with wisdom tooth infection pain until they decided to take it out,  the tooth was so close to the nevre they really didn't want to take it out  but once they did about two weeks later I felt so much better.  Stay strong do what you need to until you get through it.
    • Posted

Funny I had to have a wisdom tooth out too at the beginning!?

I'm stll not sleeping maybe 2 hours or 3 at most , and so anxious in the morning, I get soooo down about it😢😢, my flat is a mess , that makes me feel so bad too. Oh gosh , despair again , !!! Just taken my sertraline about half hour ago. Yesterday evening I was ok, took my daughter to see Xmas lights switched on, I was sad because everyone was happy, and normal, and theirs ne a mess, then I picked up a bit , was chatting with friends and felt ok, still couldn't face washing up or anything when I got home, but sat quite relaxed. Now its morning, and I'm teary and miss my old self, have bad dreams , my son sqid I was actually crying in my sleep 😢

• Posted

Hello Lattifa try not to stress too much about how you're feeling as that will make you more anxious.  I'm on day 15 of 50mg of Sertraline and today I feel Ok, have had some very anxious days when I felt I couldn't cope and some slightly less anxious days.  Try to relax inside to give your nerves a break and don't overthink things, in time your nerves will heal.  Wednesday was a fairly good day for me but yesterday I felt anxious again but as I said today is the best I've felt yet.  You will get there!
    • Posted

OK, so I'm on 14 days of 50mg and 5 days of 25mg, you seem to be doing better than me, are you sleeping at night? Do u still wake up anxious?
    • Posted

Wednesday and today I didn't wake up anxious.  My husband has bronchiectasis which is a lung condition meaning he gets flare ups and coughs especially at night and struggles for breath.  I haven't been able to sleep a full nights since March, waking up between 3 and 4 and staying awake. I think that's why I've been suffering with anxiety, lack of sleep for too long. Last couple of nights I've been in my sons bed as he is away at uni and I have slept better, especially last night although I woke up at 3.15 I was able to get back to sleep.  I didn't wake up anxious today.  I've noticed others on the forum have had side effects when they put their medication up unless they have been on the same dose for a few weeks, so maybe that could be why you are anxious.  I'm still only on 50mg and will try not to increase at all and certainly not for a few weeks.
    • Posted

How are you doing today Linda, I also sometimes sleep in my sons room, but mostly in on the sofa, as need tv to distract the mind. I dont wake up as anxious as the beginning or before I was on meds, but I just still don't feel normal, mind is always racing and thoughs popping in ,that really scares me 😡
    • Posted

Didn't have too bad a night, woke but managed to sleep on and off after that.  Feel very jittery today.  I'm on day 17 on the meds and really hoping things will level out soon.  I know what you mean about your mind racing, some days are better than others.  I've got a follow up with Dr on 1st so will see what he says.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda i hope things improve for you, I'm a bit nervous today too, I'm scared 😓
    • Posted

Lovely people keep telling me it takes time and these people have been on it longer than me so they must know.  Try not to worry too much and I'm sure you will soon feel better. x
    • Posted

Had a better nights sleep and feel quite well today, just the occasonal palpatation.  Had a nap this afternoon when I got in from work and that really helped.  I'm hoping that my sleep will continue to be good and then I feel I can cope.  How are you today Lattifa?
    • Posted

To be honest , I'm a bit down

Not depressed, just had enough of feeling like this, I keep asking my self how can I go from happy go lucky , working full time mum, loving my sleep, not afraid to be home , always on top of house work shopping ect (well not always lol) to someone that cant go to work yet, especially when its Xmas, and we have hardly any money, cant sleep more than 4 hours, constant and I mean constant worry about when I will be normal again, mind always racing, on medication and don't know I it will get rid of all this , or if this is me from now on?? 😢, on a positive note, I'm eating better, the depression fog has gone, to be honest, if I can stop the mind racing and sleep more, it will be a major improvement.

I think reading on here does help, but sometimes you read people are on meds for months and months and are still suffering? And I loose hope. I don't know m just frustrated with I so so much now.

I hate it when I see people I haven't seen in over 2 months say, omg you've lost loads weight, and don't look your self. 😢 glad you are feeling good, and sleeping, that's such an improvement xxxx

• Posted

Try not to worry about the anxiety and racing thoughts, hard I know but the more you worry about being anxious the more you will be anxious.  Lots and lots of people feel better after only a few weeks, you probably find that they no longer come on the forum because they are feeling better.  I am on day 20 of the sertraline and yes my symptoms got so much worse before they started to level off.  I slept much better last night and feel much better today.  People told me 3 to 4 weeks before I felt better.  Try to accept how you are feeling as temporary and then it will be.  When you get racing thoughts just tell yourself it is only your tired nerves that need to rest. Eat well and try to rest when you can.  You will get better. xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you Linda for your support

I will try, god willing, I'm seeing Dr on Friday morning.

I really need sleep, I think I I get sleep, it will help loads.

Thank you, your words,are comfort x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.