Lifestyle change with feminine products....

Posted , 11 users are following.

Since I've developed LS, I can no longer use the following:

-Regular maxi pads and pantiliners. I found this so strange, because those things NEVER irritated me in the past! But believe it or not, most major brands of menstrual products contain chemicals, chlorine and bleach! Luckily, I live in a metropolitan area where natural supermarkets are easy to find. I need pure, cotton pads and pantiliners free of any artificial stuff. I'm also happy that CVS came out with their own natural line as well. (I live in the U.S., so for reference, CVS is a major pharmacy chain over here.) I wish more stores and supermarkets would get on the bandwagon because as little-known as LS is, people still suffer from it nonetheless.

-Perfumed/scented soaps. Especially to wash down there. I use pure, unscented brands like Dove White Sensitive Skin or Ivory.

-Perfumed laundry detergent. I always buy the "free and clear" brands. 

-Quilted toilet paper. This is a BIG one! Yeah, those brands may feel better when you wipe, but they contain chemicals to make them so soft, and almost always contain bleach. Worse yet with those brands, little particles get stuck up in your lady parts. And yes, those brands have also been reported to cause UTIs. I feel embarrassed because now when I go visit my boyfriend (he lives about 3 hours away), I bring my own toilet paper and bath soap. But his family only uses quilted toilet paper and products with perfumes/dyes and I'm not about to ask them to change what they buy because of me. 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nice to see another person from the U.S.

I wasn't having issues with tampons until my last period and wow, worst flare up since being diagnosed. I switched to pads which for me was better than the tampons. Another lady said she just bought a menstrual cup. I'm hoping to hear that has worked for her because I've been wanting to try it for awhile (Diva Cup). Great to know about the natural products though, I may try those as well.

• Posted

Where in the States do you live? Depending on where you are, I might be able to recommend where to shop.
    • Posted

Oh, wow! You're on the opposite side of the country than I am. I'm on Long Island. Heh, I always wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm hoping maybe for my honeymoon someday....
    • Posted

We moved here from Rhode Island lol. It's beautiful here but expensive and they have started construction so that plus being overly populated makes driving anywhere take 4xs as long. And I haven't been able to find anyone here that has experience with LS, not the greatest place to be limited with this condition sad. We've enjoyed our time though
    • Posted

Ugh, that sucks. I'm guessing you don't have a Fairway or Wild by Nature by you? I almost went nuts last weekend because I was visiting my boyfriend who lives in the middle of nowhere, New Jersey where natural supermarkets simply DON'T exist. I got my period early and didn't bring any of my stuff. I was feverishly doing research and that's how I found out about CVS. The nearest one to him was half an hour away but at least I was able to get what I needed. Now if Rite Aid and Walgreens would get on the ball....
    • Posted

Have you tried ordering from Amazon? We used to get Seventh Gen TP from Amazon for cheaper than stores sold. We don't have those stores here but we will in WI. We have whole foods here so I'm sure they would have them.
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Whole Foods will have them. Seventh Generation is my favorite because at least they make thin pads that don't leak! I tried Natracare and that was a disaster. And thanks, I'll definitely check out Amazon.
    • Posted

I wanted to give you a follow up on the menstrual cup. So far, it does a wonderful job of keeping all the moisture off the delicate skin area. It is a little tricky to get in, but coconut oil on the rim helps. It is also a little difficult to get out of you have a small opening. I don't know how it would do for someone who tears easily. I am still learning, so there might be a trick to it, or it might be easier if I could relax more. It feels as if nothing is there at all when you have it in correctly. I bought the blossom cup from amazon and it was cheaper and supposedly softer than the diva cup. I am certainly no expert on them, but I really feel it has helped so much with the monthly irritation.
  • Posted

This is just like me! For the last year I have been convinced that I'm allergic to toilet paper and my own menstrual cycle! I did not even know all those chemicals were in our hygiene products until a few days ago. I've had symptoms of LS for a long time, but just thought I had sensitive girlie parts!
    • Posted

My husband still asks me if there is a way I could "just be allergic to TP"...and now I wish that's all it was!!
  • Posted

I  stopped using biological washing powder years ago, it makes my skin itch in general. I always have a shower instead of a bath , that way enables me to wash my lady parts with dermal lotion mixed with a bit of aqueous cream. I also use dove soap for the rest of my body, I have found this bathing routine works for me , also you can cleanse the anal area as well. I don't  have periods any more so don't have the problems you younger ladies have, it must be a nightmare trying to keep cleansed and fresh . I've found in my case keeping my bits cool helps a lot, used to live in jeans or trousers! but wear skirts if possible, (thank God for harem trousers) , I wear these sometimes they are nice and loose fitting . I had never even associated toilet paper as causing further irritation I always use the quilted kind, you learn so much in these discussions, glad we can all help each other in some way
  • Posted

Re menstrual products, have you considered a Mooncup or similar? They're much less messy once you get the hang of it and won't irritate delicate lady parts!
  • Posted

ok, so how do I know if my pads and tampons have clorine/bleach, scents, ect in them? I was just on their website, they sure aren't telling what they are useing to make them. I always thought mine were ok, but now i'm not sure!
    • Posted

That's the problem: most major manufacturers DON'T tell you what kind of crap is in their products. But I've done research and most major brands contain all that bad stuff. You need to look specifically for products that are pure cotton and don't contain chemicals or bleach. Such natural products will specify on the package.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.