Lifestyle change with feminine products....

Posted , 11 users are following.

Since I've developed LS, I can no longer use the following:

-Regular maxi pads and pantiliners. I found this so strange, because those things NEVER irritated me in the past! But believe it or not, most major brands of menstrual products contain chemicals, chlorine and bleach! Luckily, I live in a metropolitan area where natural supermarkets are easy to find. I need pure, cotton pads and pantiliners free of any artificial stuff. I'm also happy that CVS came out with their own natural line as well. (I live in the U.S., so for reference, CVS is a major pharmacy chain over here.) I wish more stores and supermarkets would get on the bandwagon because as little-known as LS is, people still suffer from it nonetheless.

-Perfumed/scented soaps. Especially to wash down there. I use pure, unscented brands like Dove White Sensitive Skin or Ivory.

-Perfumed laundry detergent. I always buy the "free and clear" brands. 

-Quilted toilet paper. This is a BIG one! Yeah, those brands may feel better when you wipe, but they contain chemicals to make them so soft, and almost always contain bleach. Worse yet with those brands, little particles get stuck up in your lady parts. And yes, those brands have also been reported to cause UTIs. I feel embarrassed because now when I go visit my boyfriend (he lives about 3 hours away), I bring my own toilet paper and bath soap. But his family only uses quilted toilet paper and products with perfumes/dyes and I'm not about to ask them to change what they buy because of me. 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree.  There have many times that I had a lot of problems with perfumed products.  I use unscented Baby wipes, after elimination.  Estrace , at first two times a week, then as needed.  Every day after the wipes I apply Eucerin, Aquaphor healing ointment dabbed on area of  concern.  I have have good luck with with this reguime.  I'm 77 years old and have had this condition for three years.

Question for all, anyone on birth control drugs over six years?  Just wonder if this might be a factor.  Best to all.    

• Posted

I am wondering about the birth control too. I have not been on anything--using natural methods instead. Recently we have decided to do the pill again. Has this worsened anyone's symptoms? It seems like read that it can, but I do to remember where I read it. I got the diagnosis and the pill prescription at the same time, so I am hesitant to start them.
    • Posted

I couldn't say either way about birth control. I was on it years ago, but that was before my LS surfaced.
  • Posted

Wiggles, I use shampoo, conditioners, soaps, creams, etc. all free of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, as I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and it is amazing to discover that this chemical is in a LOT of things!  My toothpaste is also free of this toxic chemical, and for those that suffer from Oral lichen planus you should consider changing to something else, something more natural.  What makes me cross is that products used in sensitive areas, like tampons, are often bleached with chemicals, it is just frightening really, the manufacturers are poisoning us all with their total disregard for the implications of using these products.I think for people with LS they need to take extra care with what they put on their skin, and, of course, it does not end there..so many products that we eat contain these toxic chemicals, I think people need to wake up, and look at what is happening, and why there is such an increase in the levels of asthma worldwide.

I was reading something earlier today and thought I would share this paragraph, which sums it all up for me!!!

"So efficient and so inexpensive is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate that it is found in some industrial cleaning agents such as engine degreaser and industrial strength detergents. It’s also widely used as a skin irritant when testing products used to heal skin conditions".

• Posted

I found Always products always bothered me, I stopped using them for years, then started using them again, and then I was diagnosed with LS.  My gynacologist told me right away that Always is the worst pad to use.  I now buy natural Stayfree pads and my symptoms aren't as bad during my cycle.  As for tampons, I hardly use them, but if I do, it's OB tampons.  
    • Posted

I use OB tampons, and Stay free pads as well. I use the tampons mostly all though my period, as blood seems to make the ichys worse. I don't believe I have heard of Stayfree natural. Where do they sell those?
  • Posted

Yeah, I used Always products all the time before I developed LS--I used to think that brand was the best. Boy, was I wrong!

I've found that the best for me is Seventh Generation for maxi pads and CVS brand natural cotton pantiliners. 

As far as menstrual cups, what are they? I've never heard of them before.

• Posted

I have not been following this thread for some time.  I sat down to do something else and saw a post and started reading.  I cannot believe what I am hearing from all of you.  I know I have allergies to scents and chemicals and go to extremes to avoid them.  Now I have to find a panty liner that is chemically clean?  I even threw out all my expensive perfumes, do not use room deoderizers or scented anything.  I do not use any soap in the shower, just a wash rag to loosen dead skin and oil myself well after.  I figured if it worked for my grandparents and mom it would work for me.  My skin is sensitive so I gave up skin products.  Use coconut oils, shea butters after bath.  My LS is not under control, I would not use the Clob everyday because it thins the skin, then started using it everyday because of the atrophy, it does help with the atrophy.  Now I don't kmow when to use it.  Use it when there is a open lesion or not?  I have a recent problem with the back area being dry and raw, is this from too much Clob?    I have HPV, a gift from my ex husband, he is no longer with us, I am awful, but the man was mean.   Had Cervical cancer and wonder if the HPV has anything to do with the L.S.?  Now I am going to look for natural products.  Thanks to all of you.

I am in th US and hope I can find the products at CVS that are mentioned.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Wigglesof, Using the washroom has been one my main concerns and source of stress. I found that TP no matter how soft or natural would cause tearing and/or irritation. For Christmas last year I got a bidet toilet seat, often called a Japanese toilet seat, and it has changed my life. I still have issues when away from home such as in hotels or at the office but at least I have relief at home. My OBGYN did not recommend using any soap down there, just water, so this also helps keep the area down there very clean. Another bonus - I'm suffering from a UTI right now and it really helps to give me some comfort.

I'm interested in trying the manual version for travel and work. If anyone has tried it I would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.