LINX Surgery for hiatus hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 25 and have been suffering with an inflamed oesophagus and a hiatus hernia for 8 years. I've finally been offered the Nissen operation as my acid levels are at 41% on PPIs. Upon doing research I came across the LINX Surgery which is less invasive and the side effects are not as bad (from what I've read). I've managed to convince my doctor to refer to an NHS surgeon at Salford Royal who performs the surgery. As my doctor had never heard of it, it was quite the task 😒 Can anyone who has had this type of surgery, give me some kind of insight on what to expect and what the results are?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My personal views on Linx vs Nissen are summarised below:

LINX pros:

Its ring of magnetic beads help close the lower oesophageal sphincter.

The surgery for this is slightly less invasive and slightly shorter than for LNF and there is less (internal) healing for the body to do. It has been available for nearly 15 years. The operation is minimal and patients can go home the next day with some able to go home the same day. You can eat normally afterwards.

If it doesn't work or goes wrong, it can be removed and LNF performed instead.

A "long term" study over 6 years (with a mean implantation time of 3 years) of 100 recipients showed 85% of them no longer required daily PPIs for acid reflux and were glad they had had the procedure.

LINX cons:

It costs over twice as much as LNF.

It cannot be used in everybody (depends on presence of Barrett's and hiatus hernia). It doesn't repair a hiatus hernia.

If needed, MRI scans can only be at low power. MRI can displace magnets or create induction heating.

63% of recipients experience swallowing difficulties. A solid enough bolus propelled with sufficient peristalsis is required to open the device.

LINX unknowns:

Will it migrate or erode the adventia (outer wall of oesophagus) over time? 40 years ago, a new device was being enthusiastically embraced. Angelchik was effectively a broad gel rubber band / collar attached around the oesophagus that kept the oesophagus closed by elasticity. However over a long period, its movement against the adventia caused gradual erosion. Migration and erosion issues occurred causing a clamour of patients having it removed.

LNF pros:

It is the gold standard for reflux reduction surgery.

Nissen fundoplications have been used for 60 years with surgeons becoming more expert and techniques improving all the time. It has been performed laparoscopically for over 20 years.

The operation is minimal with patients usually able to go home the next day (and some on the same day as their operation).

It uses natural body tissue with similar elasticity to the organ it surrounds.

A recent study of nearly 200 patients who had LNF 20 years ago found 94% satisfaction with it.

There is no risk of erosion or migration.

Any hiatus hernia will be corrected and the Nissen wrap prevents it from recurring.

It can be performed if the patient has Barrett's.

LNF cons:

85% of patients experience problems with burping or vomitting whilst the scar tissue heals.

50% of patients have swallowing difficulties while the scar tissue heals. Soft foods are required at first but you can eat normally within a few weeks.

In the 20 year study, the wrap had failed in 18% of patients, when it can be redone. (Newer techniques mean that failure rates are now estimated to be only around 5%.)

NHS is far more likely to provide Nissen. LINX is too expensive.

Linx may look shiny and sexy but you don't see it once implanted - and it was originally developed for faecal incontinence - the Fenix device.

You may read about it and other reflux reduction devices and techniques n the Reflux management chapters of the www DownwithAcid org uk book.

I do know someone who has recently had linx implacement and am following his progress with interest. (Ealy days for him yet.) I, myself, had Laparoscopic nissen fundoplicatio a few years ago.

• Posted

I am curious as to how your friend is doing after the Linx procedure. I am waiting insurance approval for this procedure. After weighing the risks with both surgeries I felt the Linx was the best choice mainly due to being less invasive and still having the ability to belch. I am 43 and am currently taking Protonix (40mg) Zantac (300mg) 2x day, and still using Tums multiple times throughout the day for heartburn or indigestion symptoms. Im also using an essential oil that helps as well. Last appt my Dr put me on Xanax to help with the nausea symptoms I'm having, as my GERD is getting worse....I'm doing some research on probiotics and digestion enzymes to see if they can provide some help while I wait for approval of Linx.

• Posted

Sorry, I haven't heard from him in a while. He did say he'd keep me updated.

The "inability to belch" myth is propagated by Torax medical (who make LINX) . I can assure you, I can belch like a trooper. What Torax don't mention is the inability to swallow. I have read many on various forums who complain of this - they have to eat fairly solid matter to open the LINX bracelet and any refluxing acid just pools above the closure - not having enough density to open it.

And LINX doesn't cure a hiatus hernia.

Digestive enzymes won't reduce reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.