Long lasting bleeding after TURP with A

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a TURP (prostate op) on Oct 19th, only half completed due to heart acceleration.A week later with bloodless urine I was discharged and I resumed taking Dabigatran blood thinning tabs as I am in permanent AF. Immediately I started bleeding profusely from my bladder so I stopped taking the Dabigatran for 3 days (with the risk of a stroke due to the AF) and the bleeding stopped. However, starting the Dabigatran again precipitated the bleeding. This vicious circle has continued ever since. At the moment I am in

the bleeding cycle and wonder how long one has to risk stopping the blood thinners to enable the wound to heal. To partially offset the stroke risk I have begun to take 75mil aspirin but this is a milder blood thinning aging also. Any suggestions?

?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds to me you seriously need attention from a cardiac surgeon. The fact that the bleeding is due to a prostate op is just an incidental detail. It could be any internal bleed, and needs prompt attention.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your advice. I am seeing a consultant next Tuesday.
    • Posted

I really hope a cardiologist can get you safely out of the corner you have been trapped in. In terms of completing your prostate treatment, a non-invasive method (or at least far less invasive) would be PAE (prostate artery embolisation), which it may be possible for you to find.

I would suggest whoever proposed a TURP knowing of your AF and blood-thinning treatment was effectively incompetant.

• Posted

Is it comon to bleed so like this after a TURP; I thought it was a safe procedure. I guess your urologist did not coordinate with your cardiologist. Don't they be an ablation  procedure with atrial fibrillation. But you know what that could do harm permanently. I guess only solution now is to go to a research facility like Hopkins or Mayo or Cleveland and let them figure it out. I am scared even thinking about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.