Low b12

Posted , 3 users are following.

my b12 level is 374. is that low enough to make me feel like im going nuts with severe anxiety and depression 😭

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Yes it is! Have you been diagnosed with B12 deficiency? If you look at the NICE & NHS guidelines it states that after diagnosis of B12D further blood tests should not be taken and the symptoms, which include anxiety and depression, should be treated. I am B12D and on injections every 10 weeks at my GP, was 12 weeks but I was getting neurological symptoms at around 10 weeks so I managed to convince them to give me my injection more frequently. Most Doctors and nurses are not very knowledgeable about B12 deficiency if they are not deficient themselves. I'm sure they don't read the guidelines and the updates! I have injections because I don't absorb B12 through my food because my diabetes meds and previous omeprazole medication has stopped me absorbing it so injections are the only way. Vegans and vegetarians are likely to be B12 deficient too as they don't eat meat.

My GP admitted to me that he doesn't know much about B12 deficiency and hinted he'd put me on tablets but they would be no good to me.

I'm on a group on Facebook which is amazing with lots of great information and support it is run by well known B12 deficiency experts who keep up to date with all the guidelines.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

have you got neurological symptoms? initially most GPs won't prescribe at that level and you will need to push for them. I'll send you the link in a private message if you want it. I've found it brilliant.

• Posted

I think that is a technically safe number, although i would try to improve that number. We should always assess what is safe through professional advice and then think about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.