Lump in lower left abdomen. Think it may be ovarian cyst?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there

I have had a lump in my lower left abdomen for about 6+ months now with extreme bloating and distention often. I can feel the lump there it's kind of like a curved sausage shape that’s uncomfortable when I twist or roll over in bed. It’s also most prominent when lying down on my back. I went to the drs a couple of times and it kept being palmed off as just being constipation. I have since moved dr's surgery as I wasn't happy with it and its now being closed for lack of care - another story! I went to my new doctor's surgery about the lump last week after feeling as though it had gotten more prominent or bigger since first noticing it and was told that she could feel a mass that she thinks could be an ovarian cyst. She has booked me for a trans vaginal ultrasound and I’m waiting to hear when this will be. However, since she had a good feel and was prodding it it’s been quite painful! I’m getting pain around my flank and down my buttock as well as directly where the lump is and I’m not sure if it’s because of the prodding or otherwise.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any similar stories or experiences and what the outcome was? I am certain it must be something and I’m not just going crazy!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if it's a fluid cyst they should be able to drain it surgically before it ruptures and it's not fun but not deadly. I say before it ruptures because a ruptured cyst is also not deadly but is hella painful esp if it's giant. If it's a complex cyst then you'd need to remove it (i.e. a cyst made of fat tissue) via a more complicated surgery. But if it appeared suddenly (6 months) it's more likely a fluid cyst, if it truly is an ovarian cyst. Sorry that sounds awful. Esp that it's taking them so long to figure it out. Good luck!!

• Posted

That's good to know thank you! Yeah I just hate the not knowing. I probably should have pushed for it all sooner but it's hard when it feels like you're having to convince your doctors!

Thank you for your reply x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.